Said encounters Sartre

  • mer_e_jo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mer_e_jo" <mer_e_jo@y...> wrote:

        > Who said?
        >
        > http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n11/said01_.html

        an excellent article, Mary, just when i needed some cheer. that is,
        not much good news concerning fifty years of anguish in that part of
        the world [where God first created His garden], but what a wonderful
        insight into the French literary scene. the depiction of Sartre is
        realistic and tender. then i consulted Wikipedia. so Mr. Said was
        raised in a Christian Arab family, and has written about Islam,
        among his many scholarly works.

        anyway, i keep coming back to the repeated question, what is
        existentialism, especially since we have newbies arriving asking
        just that. onward and onward.

        Louise
      • mer_e_jo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
          Louise,

          I thought it was an interesting article, two things in particular.
          The French Existentialists were elderly. Sartre was near death.
          Beauvoir had retained her version of ex. and fully absorbed by her
          second sex theory. It might not have been realistic for Said to
          expect much from them. Their batons were not being picked up and
          passed on; they were left on the ground; pretty much where they
          remain today.

          As for Sartre's pro Israel stance, he was under the "spell" of his
          young Jewish and Marxist friend, much to the chagrin of Simone. I
          suspect that had he lived longer with his mind intact, he might have
          devoted more attention to the Palestinian cause with all the energy
          and attention he gave to other causes.

          I would have expected them to consider all sides and suggest a
          compromise which is what they did immediately following WWII. The
          practice of personal existentialism, whatever that means, seems to
          have usurped the political practice in our new century. There is a
          small window of opportunity to extinguish the perpetual flashpoint in
          those ancient lands. If the voices of moderation and compromise don't
          succeed, I fear our world is headed to a place where . . . well,
          let's just say, I don't know if I really want to be around to see how
          bad things will be. There really are times when I doubt the wisdom of
          bringing children in this world.

          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mer_e_jo" <mer_e_jo@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Who said?
          > >
          > > http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n11/said01_.html
          > >

          > an excellent article, Mary, just when i needed some cheer. that
          is,
          > not much good news concerning fifty years of anguish in that part
          of
          > the world [where God first created His garden], but what a
          wonderful
          > insight into the French literary scene. the depiction of Sartre is
          > realistic and tender. then i consulted Wikipedia. so Mr. Said was
          > raised in a Christian Arab family, and has written about Islam,
          > among his many scholarly works.
          >
          > anyway, i keep coming back to the repeated question, what is
          > existentialism, especially since we have newbies arriving asking
          > just that. onward and onward.
          >
          > Louise

        • peno hardesty
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
            so, if it would be unwise to bring children into the
            world, have we then reached a thought, a theory,
            indeed a conclusion, that we are as good as it gets ?
            some think of "end times" as punishment and pain,
            others see "purification" and re-birth. Hopi speak and
            the wind listens, preachers speak and the world
            shivers-----why does discourse about ancient times and
            ancient stories, ancient peoples and future
            devastation always revolve around certain geographical
            places? time began-----it is not geographical---time
            is---simple----open conscience and awareness to see
            all-----p

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Exist List Moderator
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
              On Jan 03, 2006, at 11:43, peno hardesty wrote:

              > so, if it would be unwise to bring children into the
              > world, have we then reached a thought, a theory,
              > indeed a conclusion, that we are as good as it gets ?

              Personally, I think "we" as people are as good as it gets, but life /
              living conditions will continue to improve for people over the next
              century. There are two different issues, in my view.

              Is human nature likely to change? I do not think so. I think we will
              continue to have dominant personalities, sociopaths, bullies, and
              criminals of various sorts. There will be tyrants and wars. If
              anything, we will probably see at least one more use of nuclear weapons
              in the next century and a biological attack.

              Despite this, life will improve for most people. It's not a steady
              improvement, but rather a series of peaks and valleys. No one during
              WWI or WWII would have imagined the relative calm of modern Europe. I
              have to believe Russia's current backslide will reverse, for any number
              of self-serving reasons. The same is true of China. Self-serving
              decisions made to "save" the Chinese leadership might eventually
              improve life for everyone in China -- but not tomorrow or even this
              decade.

              So, while we are as good as humanity is likely to get over the next few
              hundred years, meaning our personal flaws will remain in the species,
              the world will continue to improve despite occasional disasters. The
              disasters will seem terrible -- like the end of the world -- but we
              will probably rebound.

              On the flip side, I do wonder if the world of man is the best place for
              yet one more life. It is a decision we are compelled to make
              biologically, I think, but not at all logical. Trust me, I love
              children and yet know many are destined to suffer. Such is life.

              - C. S. Wyatt
              that I shall be.