Re: [existlist] Weapons of Love

  • Eliza Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
      I also tried to define the term "ilbra" through various sources, including the Columbia University Encyclopedia Iranica, and Websters, and Google. Well, not once I was able to find a definition to the ilbra's concept. Can you help? Who is Ilbra? Is it a super ideal that awaits the poet's discovery?

      Eliza

      louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote: TO ILBRA

      [from the Persian]

      Ilbra! Beauty's bondmen are striken with blue eyes:
      Thine, when I first beheld thee, were black, O Ilbra.
      I admired their silken lashes, like the cedars and cypresses
      On the edge of those hills afar off there, white with snow.
      The dimple of thy lips, half shaded by ever-blooming roses,
      Open and distinct, shewed candour and hospitality.
      I looked again on thy eyes, O Ilbra,
      Till mine became dim*, and thine blue*.

      Walter Savage Landor. 'Translations, Imitations, etc.'
      My 1969 Methuen edition of his complete works carries this poem in
      volume 15, but the contents page refers to volume 3, presumably with
      reference to the original edition published by Chapman & Hall,
      between 1927 and 1936.

      Louise

      Philosophy book Merleau-ponty