Re: [existlist] Syntheses

  • Eliza Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      Louise,

      I kept trying to find this book everywhere I could. Finally, it appears in two UK's original versions, one for 950 pounds and the other for 2,600 pounds. Please keep me informed if you find some cheaper options around. Meanwhile, I would be pleased if you continue quoting from your rare book for the rest of us.

      Eliza

      louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote: TO THE NIGHTINGALE

      [from the Persian]

      Candid with thy modesty, grateful with thy shyness,
      Sweet nightingale, soon may thy passion prosper.
      I heard thee repeatedly call the Fairies,
      And saw them array with pearls the eyelashes of Ilbra.
      For she pitied thy plaint from the shadiness of our loves.
      I said to Ilbra, "*these are my pearls*;"
      She smiled, and showered them into my bosom.
      The dove was over her, the rainbow on her cheek.
      The pearls of Ilbra are now my* pearls.
      Sweet nightingale, may also thy passion prosper.

      W.S.Landor, "Poems from the Arabic and Persian".

      Yes, how Nietzschean, contemporary, is this word, 'passion'. It is
      specific to the individual. Pertaining to intellect, character,
      personality, sensuality, sensibility, and so on, the infinity of
      forms. How unreasonable, how pure, the longings of Plato, to see
      those Forms immutable and hence incarnate, politically, the
      unrealised despair of the Republican idealist. Seems almost as
      though, Plato never existed. He simply was. What a dreamer, what a
      writer. I don't want a symposium in Heaven, I don't want
      Christmas. Just give me food, and music. Friendship comes to those
      who wait.

      Louise

      Philosophy book Merleau-ponty