his untidy political philosophy

  • mer_e_jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      The most important thing ... has been the absence of a master
      theory. ... It seems to me that the attempt to invent or devise a
      discourse that is adequate in its universal contours and detailed power
      to the new forces of the media or the new social forces outside Europe
      has not met with great success. It seems to me to have missed a lot of
      the contradictions, a lot of the untidiness of the moment. ... I don't
      see the need for a master discourse or a theorization of the whole.

      -and-

      With so many dissonances in my life I have learned actually to prefer
      being not quite right and out of place.

      Edward W. Said