Re: [existlist] Sept.11 in perpective

  • William Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
      Jim, Im glad you got that in before the carnivore starts knawing away at
      freedom of speach. I think distrust of authoritarians will creep back into
      the minds of thinking people. "You can fool ...ect" Bush is such a thin
      stick man, I dont think he will stand up to the blast of unemotional scrutany
      that will come when more people step back and look at this as you have. In
      many ways philosophers are like Army Rangers, "Follow me". Bill

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
        Bill,

        I would grant that one could make such comparisons, so as to look outside
        the box. But although this is laudable for a certain perspective, the
        danger is that we may wish to accept the loss in some fashion. For example,
        a lot of federal buildings here went into high alert immediately after the
        11sep01 incident, yet today it is mostly put into the past and it is
        business as usual. Meaning that there is no longer an individual checking
        passes of persons wishing access. On the one hand this is good from the
        point of view of not wanting to have too much in the way of restrictions on
        our freedom of movement, but on the other we may be open to future
        incidents. We have entered a new world of possible terrorism [or perhaps
        one should say that we have finally entered an existing world of terrorism]
        and there has to be a continual care for the safety of people using the
        infrastructure.

        Jim Aiden wrote:

> [...]
        > some adjustments to anti-terrorism policies. I have more important
        > things to worry then some extremist group, but if it helps
        > politicians make voters forget about the dwindling economy then who
        > am I to judge? To the Hawks, enjoy spending billions to kill those
        > few responsible and 'protect' us and bail out companies that
        > supposedly detest government spending, while millions still suffer
        > every single day and our freedoms are stripped away one by one.
        >
        > In case people forget, there is a cost associated with everything
        > whether the cause be just or not... Existentialism 101.
        >
        > One last FAQ.... In 2000, the total UNICEF expenditure was 1.1
        > billion dollars for the ENTIRE world.
        >
        > Only another perpective
        >
        > J.Aiden
        >
        > P.S. Not judging Americans.... I'm judging people everywhere in world.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • William Harris
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
          Eduard, We will learn or we will die. For many years others have thought myself
          to be overly cautious about security. I have had to deal with some desparate
          sorts and have lived with a sense of threat. Now it comes to the uninitiated to
          live in the dangerous world. I just walked the mall my office is in, it is
          deserted. How long the soccer moms will cower no one can tell. They are hot
          house plants thrown into the jungle. They have no philosophy deeper than their
          local congregation and little experience to draw on. I dont pity them, in fact
          I must try not to laugh. A pastel world dimmed to black and white has no shadows
          to hide behind. Ill bet the pizza delivery business is booming. Bill

        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
            very true.

            I doubt that I would make it far in the new world. For me, violence has
            been something I see on TV. I rarely lock my door. When I go for a walk, I
            don't expect to meet up with something more than an irritated squirrel.
            Times, they are a changing.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
              >"I'll bet the pizza delivery business is booming."

              HA!! Hadn't thought of *that*. I'm gonna have a look at Pizza Hut stock.

              Ry
            • William Harris
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                Eduard, Just a few comments on the present situation: I just finished
                instructing a physician in pistol and assault rifle. A retired Army officer and
                friend reiterated a thought he related three times before; "There will always
                be wars". A friend has always maintained that there are two reasons for war; "
                We will be taking your land now" , and, "My god is better than your god". He has
                modified the secound statement to read ,"My imaginary friend is better than your
                imaginary friend" For me it is one mobilization to far, today is my 55th
                birthday and for the first time in 37 years I am not draft eligible. Go get em,
                boys! Bill

              • Eduard Alf
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Bill,

                  yes, I suppose that one could get it down to a reason or two. But whatever,
                  there comes a time when it is necessary to take a stand. The terrorist is
                  not much different from the school yard bully. We can talk forever about
                  the value of vengeance or whether we are using the term "justice" in a
                  correct fashion, but at some point it has to stop. And that requires
                  action. I am quite sure that Chamberlain had some very nice evenings of
                  contemplation on the subject of worth while responses. However, Hitler was
                  inclined to action, and the result is history.

                • Roggles457@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                    may have gotten past him. He has a point about what he talked about, but the
                    real problem with this overreaction comes as the following sorts of
                    situations.

                    1) Carnivore and Wiretapping: Sure, this is good for anti-terrorism, but
                    the bill also would be a nice convenient gateway for the FBI to gain access
                    to other areas it has wanted to for awhile, things people don't want
                    Carnivore and Wiretapping being used for.
                    2) Detainment as "Threats to national security" The phrase National
                    Security is the most slippery sloped one I've heard in a long time. The
                    government can use that extremely liberally. Ex. THe freedom of information
                    act does not reveal any of hte governments embarassing foulups, even those
                    widely known unofficially, because embarassment to them is a threat to
                    "national security." If they can apply it liberally, how long is it before
                    anyone who criticizes the government is branded a threat to national
                    security. Those who protest the likely upcoming war could be labeled threats
                    to national security. Even long after this incident is over, they have a
                    convenient gateway for other areas.
                    3) If you think it will end here, you are probably misguided, at least in my
                    view. There will likely be more attacks, and as a result, more restrictions
                    placed upon our freedom as the attacks increase. What comes next, curfew?
                    Universal ban on weapons? Cars being searched? Houses being searched? A
                    gestapo-like organization being formed? Censorship? Extreme brutality in
                    dealing with Afghanistan? It will not end quickly, I expect.

                    Freedom will burn in the fires of hatred.

                    Ryan
                  • nothing@theabsurd.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                      <<However, Hitler was inclined to action, and the result is
                      history.>>

                      I am very unclear as to your point. You suggest action as the right
                      means for retaliation, and that it is a good, and then you bring up
                      the example of a man (if we are to believe history) who in taking
                      action led not only himself but his entire country to demise, ruin
                      and loss.

                      Is action a short term or long term plan, and what did you mean
                      by the example?

                      out-of-foci
                      --------------
                    • Eduard Alf
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                        Ryan,

                        I would not disagree with what you are saying. Look at what happened in the
                        1950s when the Committee for Un-American Activities got started as a means
                        of countering soviet spies. A lot of people lost their livelihoods until
                        McCarthy took on the defense department with his accusation of 57 varieties
                        of communists supposedly buried therein.

                        you are making an unwarranted extrapolation from what I said. My point was
                        simply that some action is needed rather sitting around and doing nothing or
                        just trading clever remarks. Of course there is a danger in the loss of
                        civil liberties [albeit a universal ban on weapons would not be a bad idea],
                        as experience has shown. It is a matter of doing this in an intelligent
                        manner. I am not suggesting that we allow our freedom to disappear for
                        reason of having a better means of protecting those freedoms.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                          uninstall