Sept.11 in perpective

  • Jim Aiden
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2001
      Some numbers for those that happen to have interest in facts.

      ---
      Ten million or so flights happen across the United States every year
      vs.
      Four planes went down.
      ----
      Mayor Gulliani estimates a one billion dollar hit on New York State
      because of tax losses
      vs.
      How many trillions is the annual U.S. Budget?
      ---
      The U.S. Military-Industial Complex can be measured in the trillion
      of dollars.
      Vs.
      Bin Lauden's (alleged mastermind) is worth an estimated 350 million.
      ---
      250 million people in the U.S. Plus maybe another billion in what
      might one call the 'West'
      vs.
      A few thousand violent radical Muslim extremists (not to be confused
      or associated with a few hundred million Muslims or six billion
      humans).
      ---
      Suffering caused from this one incident.
      vs.
      Amnesty International Report- > http://web.amnesty.org/web/ar2001.nsf/
      Unicef -> http://www.unicef.org
      Feel free to examine the numbers (in the millions) that die
      needlessly every year.
      ----
      WTC and Pentagon... two very important places damaged and destroyed.
      vs.
      Exactly how large is the U.S? How big is the world?
      ----
      Two hundred years creating protection of individual freedom from the
      government in the U.S. Constitution... achieved despite wars,
      depression, exploitation and slavery.
      vs.
      A bad day (OK... 'a day that will live in infamy' if that makes Bush
      feel like Roosevelt). Let's Carnivore the Internet, wiretap the
      entire world, station fully armed military troops in airports,
      terrorize tourists at U.S. Borders that spend billions of dollars
      annually, escort commercial jetliners with F-16's because some A-RAB
      gets caught smoking in the washroom...... I could continue for a while
      but here it is in CNN's word's....

      *** Justice Department draft proposals ***
      Among the proposals U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft has drafted
      to combat terrorists:
      - Ease restrictions on wiretap and search warrant requests
      - One wire tap order could be valid nationwide
      - Allow law enforcement to seize suspected terrorists' voice mail
      with search warrant
      - Expand mandatory detention for those deemed threat to national
      security
      - Authorize of search and surveillance in U.S. of non-Americans up to
      a year
      - Allow broader disclosure of grand jury information
      ---

      Maybe somebody gets what I'm alluding to? Perhaps a tiny tiny
      bit of an overreaction, drama and neglection of the facts?

      America's response should not have been labeled a WAR.
      Unfortunately that word politicizes and emotionally energies
      something that really should just be a high profile criminal case and
      some adjustments to anti-terrorism policies. I have more important
      things to worry then some extremist group, but if it helps
      politicians make voters forget about the dwindling economy then who
      am I to judge? To the Hawks, enjoy spending billions to kill those
      few responsible and 'protect' us and bail out companies that
      supposedly detest government spending, while millions still suffer
      every single day and our freedoms are stripped away one by one.

      In case people forget, there is a cost associated with everything
      whether the cause be just or not... Existentialism 101.

      One last FAQ.... In 2000, the total UNICEF expenditure was 1.1
      billion dollars for the ENTIRE world.

      Only another perpective

      J.Aiden

      P.S. Not judging Americans.... I'm judging people everywhere in world.
    • William Harris
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
        Jim, Im glad you got that in before the carnivore starts knawing away at
        freedom of speach. I think distrust of authoritarians will creep back into
        the minds of thinking people. "You can fool ...ect" Bush is such a thin
        stick man, I dont think he will stand up to the blast of unemotional scrutany
        that will come when more people step back and look at this as you have. In
        many ways philosophers are like Army Rangers, "Follow me". Bill

      • Eduard Alf
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
          Bill,

          I would grant that one could make such comparisons, so as to look outside
          the box. But although this is laudable for a certain perspective, the
          danger is that we may wish to accept the loss in some fashion. For example,
          a lot of federal buildings here went into high alert immediately after the
          11sep01 incident, yet today it is mostly put into the past and it is
          business as usual. Meaning that there is no longer an individual checking
          passes of persons wishing access. On the one hand this is good from the
          point of view of not wanting to have too much in the way of restrictions on
          our freedom of movement, but on the other we may be open to future
          incidents. We have entered a new world of possible terrorism [or perhaps
          one should say that we have finally entered an existing world of terrorism]
          and there has to be a continual care for the safety of people using the
          infrastructure.

          Jim Aiden wrote:

> [...]
          > some adjustments to anti-terrorism policies. I have more important
          > things to worry then some extremist group, but if it helps
          > politicians make voters forget about the dwindling economy then who
          > am I to judge? To the Hawks, enjoy spending billions to kill those
          > few responsible and 'protect' us and bail out companies that
          > supposedly detest government spending, while millions still suffer
          > every single day and our freedoms are stripped away one by one.
          >
          > In case people forget, there is a cost associated with everything
          > whether the cause be just or not... Existentialism 101.
          >
          > One last FAQ.... In 2000, the total UNICEF expenditure was 1.1
          > billion dollars for the ENTIRE world.
          >
          > Only another perpective
          >
          > J.Aiden
          >
          > P.S. Not judging Americans.... I'm judging people everywhere in world.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • William Harris
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
            Eduard, We will learn or we will die. For many years others have thought myself
            to be overly cautious about security. I have had to deal with some desparate
            sorts and have lived with a sense of threat. Now it comes to the uninitiated to
            live in the dangerous world. I just walked the mall my office is in, it is
            deserted. How long the soccer moms will cower no one can tell. They are hot
            house plants thrown into the jungle. They have no philosophy deeper than their
            local congregation and little experience to draw on. I dont pity them, in fact
            I must try not to laugh. A pastel world dimmed to black and white has no shadows
            to hide behind. Ill bet the pizza delivery business is booming. Bill

          • Eduard Alf
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
              very true.

              I doubt that I would make it far in the new world. For me, violence has
              been something I see on TV. I rarely lock my door. When I go for a walk, I
              don't expect to meet up with something more than an irritated squirrel.
              Times, they are a changing.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
                >"I'll bet the pizza delivery business is booming."

                HA!! Hadn't thought of *that*. I'm gonna have a look at Pizza Hut stock.

                Ry
              • William Harris
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Eduard, Just a few comments on the present situation: I just finished
                  instructing a physician in pistol and assault rifle. A retired Army officer and
                  friend reiterated a thought he related three times before; "There will always
                  be wars". A friend has always maintained that there are two reasons for war; "
                  We will be taking your land now" , and, "My god is better than your god". He has
                  modified the secound statement to read ,"My imaginary friend is better than your
                  imaginary friend" For me it is one mobilization to far, today is my 55th
                  birthday and for the first time in 37 years I am not draft eligible. Go get em,
                  boys! Bill

                • Eduard Alf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Bill,

                    yes, I suppose that one could get it down to a reason or two. But whatever,
                    there comes a time when it is necessary to take a stand. The terrorist is
                    not much different from the school yard bully. We can talk forever about
                    the value of vengeance or whether we are using the term "justice" in a
                    correct fashion, but at some point it has to stop. And that requires
                    action. I am quite sure that Chamberlain had some very nice evenings of
                    contemplation on the subject of worth while responses. However, Hitler was
                    inclined to action, and the result is history.

                  • Roggles457@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                      may have gotten past him. He has a point about what he talked about, but the
                      real problem with this overreaction comes as the following sorts of
                      situations.

                      1) Carnivore and Wiretapping: Sure, this is good for anti-terrorism, but
                      the bill also would be a nice convenient gateway for the FBI to gain access
                      to other areas it has wanted to for awhile, things people don't want
                      Carnivore and Wiretapping being used for.
                      2) Detainment as "Threats to national security" The phrase National
                      Security is the most slippery sloped one I've heard in a long time. The
                      government can use that extremely liberally. Ex. THe freedom of information
                      act does not reveal any of hte governments embarassing foulups, even those
                      widely known unofficially, because embarassment to them is a threat to
                      "national security." If they can apply it liberally, how long is it before
                      anyone who criticizes the government is branded a threat to national
                      security. Those who protest the likely upcoming war could be labeled threats
                      to national security. Even long after this incident is over, they have a
                      convenient gateway for other areas.
                      3) If you think it will end here, you are probably misguided, at least in my
                      view. There will likely be more attacks, and as a result, more restrictions
                      placed upon our freedom as the attacks increase. What comes next, curfew?
                      Universal ban on weapons? Cars being searched? Houses being searched? A
                      gestapo-like organization being formed? Censorship? Extreme brutality in
                      dealing with Afghanistan? It will not end quickly, I expect.

                      Freedom will burn in the fires of hatred.

                      Ryan
                    • nothing@theabsurd.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                        <<However, Hitler was inclined to action, and the result is
                        history.>>

                        I am very unclear as to your point. You suggest action as the right
                        means for retaliation, and that it is a good, and then you bring up
                        the example of a man (if we are to believe history) who in taking
                        action led not only himself but his entire country to demise, ruin
                        and loss.

                        Is action a short term or long term plan, and what did you mean
                        by the example?

                        out-of-foci
                        --------------
                      • Eduard Alf
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                          Ryan,

                          I would not disagree with what you are saying. Look at what happened in the
                          1950s when the Committee for Un-American Activities got started as a means
                          of countering soviet spies. A lot of people lost their livelihoods until
                          McCarthy took on the defense department with his accusation of 57 varieties
                          of communists supposedly buried therein.

                          you are making an unwarranted extrapolation from what I said. My point was
                          simply that some action is needed rather sitting around and doing nothing or
                          just trading clever remarks. Of course there is a danger in the loss of
                          civil liberties [albeit a universal ban on weapons would not be a bad idea],
                          as experience has shown. It is a matter of doing this in an intelligent
                          manner. I am not suggesting that we allow our freedom to disappear for
                          reason of having a better means of protecting those freedoms.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                            uninstall