Metallic Philosophy - example

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      [this an attempt to escape Herman's post]

      Journal
      21st September, 1988

      Nietzsche's "Versuch einer Umwertung aller Werte" enters here the
      fleshly existence of spirit. To attempt (note the humility of F.
      Nietzsche here) a revaluation of all values is lifelong process,
      intellection hand in hand with existential directives, desire,
      feeling / the whole thing it is ...
      The implications of that revaluation on ... the daily "news" for
      example. I recall a feeling of gladness on hearing of substantial
      grounds for hope that the long war between Iraq and Iran was to be
      ended. On two counts this gladness is over-hasty. Firstly, the
      violent abuse of power is flexible in its directions; energies
      conserved by the ceasefire with Iran immediately allowed Saddam
      Hussein of Iraq to kill by chemical weaponry thousands of Kurdish
      villagers; whilst the Iranian regime was able to concentrate more
      fully on exterminating enemies of the Islamic Republic - two thousand
      deaths a week, it is said. Secondly, the furtherance of authentic
      life is not at all identical with the establishment of political
      stability (an end to war) & the maximising of health for the
      citizenry. Bodily pain & heart's grief are scarcely to be desired,
      but they do not play entirely negative roles on behalf of love; in
      some cases they offer the only prospect of authentic transformation.
      They give pause : which will be filled by bitterness, or
      resignation ... or new vision.

      -----------------------

      offered by
      louise
    • Herman B. Triplegood
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        That is cute Louise. It is okay to dodge that for now. I was extemporizing.
        Brown's book has got my *mental* gears turning, or my neurons firing, as the
        case may be, if it turns out that I am nothing but a piece of brain meat
        after all. It is provocative for me because, up until now, the
        anthropological perspective on universals and other things like cultural
        relativity, nature versus nurture, social Darwinism, etc., was unknown
        territory. The anthropologist's view sheds a lot of light on controversies I
        have only examined from the point of view of the philosopher's arm chair
        until now.

        The thought comes to *mind* that it might not be quite accurate to
        characterize the twentieth century as the century of the aftermath that
        ensued after the realization of the death of God, the century that brought
        the death, perhaps even the suicide, of a philosophy that has lost its God.
        Where oh where has all the transcendence gone? It seems to me that the
        twentieth century is a clinical study. It is the identity crisis, the
        ego-dissolution of a philosophy that has lost its transcendence, therefore,
        its very reason for existing, and has lapsed into spiritual psychosis.
        Philosophy in the twentieth century is not dead; rather, it is mentally ill.
        Diagnosis: MPD (multiple personality disorder), right out of the DSM-IV, I
        am sure. I see a plethora of schools and positions, dogmas and intellectual
        agendas, a schizophrenia of cross talking to no purpose but intellectual and
        verbal violence, winning the war of words becoming the end that justifies
        all philosophical means. Inter-communication and dialogue is rendered
        impossible under such circumstances where a multiplicity of philosophical
        diatribes becomes a manifestation of multifarious warring personal agendas.
        Looking ahead, into this century, what philosophy needs is therapy. But in
        this case, unlike mine, since I am not a *mind* but a bloody oozing lump of
        brain meat with precious little serotonin to spare, Prozac will not do. How
        does one medicate a sickness of science? Talk therapy, it seems to me, is
        our sole recourse. By that I mean, we must learn, all over again, merely how
        to talk. Only then, can we proceed to the stage of discourse in which
        philosophy can, once again, happen.

        Hb3g

        _____

[...]

        Philosophy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Philosophy+book&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=E
        xistentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=91&.sig=QX
        O9QQTDN7-2-84TTEcWsg> book

        Existentialism
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Existentialism&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=Ex
        istentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=91&.sig=lur
        QeKbMARJ2elcQRcz4BA>

        Existentialism
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Existentialism+philosophy&w1=Philosophy
        +book&w2=Existentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=
        91&.sig=hpKtHa-oyE3oDm1_InODgg> philosophy

        Merleau-ponty
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Merleau-ponty&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=Exi
        stentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=91&.sig=v1Px
        tAgqEiPoQVSOvhGZgg>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "existlist
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist> " on the web.

        _____

      • Simmy Flora (flo32956)
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
          not that i am advocating anything...on the contrary it would be silly for me to further de-value war...but you cannot hand the "basket of freedom", as it were, to those unwilling to be responsible for it...the basket is empty and the weave is thinning...if one has any sense of personal order in life...responsibility not being my forte`...is war or peace, either one, something to think on if those who are war or peacing it cannot control themselves...why not, why so?...se la...