Re: [existlist] the whole enchilada

  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
      > This is the entire paper. I post material of this nature, because so
      > much of existentialism addresses the individual and society.
      > Evolutionary science brings much to this discussion. After all, some
      > things are never off the table.

      > http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kruger/ep6.html
      > Mary

      sorry, i haven't time to adequately respond right now (maybe in a week and
      a half), but glancing at this paper, this type of "evolutionary" (=social
      Darwinist) top-down grand theory within the tradition of monoculturizing
      tendencies of researchers who do not always go beyond the most accessible
      cultures (esp. in terms of language many, many of which have been ignored
      and not at all explored) omits quite a few things that don't fit that well
      in its grand narrative.

      just off the top of my head:

      - bonobos

      - anthropological studies that suggest an egalitarian (more than
      male-dominant) social structure among archaic acephalous forager
      band-style societies like the !Kung who do not maintain economic
      surpluses, lack centralized authority, and have no sharp divisions of
      status or rank.

      - anthropological and archaeological evidence in Southeast Asia and
      pre-industrial northern Eurasia for the development of parallel and
      complementary male and female divisions of labor where "male dominance"
      may be a misleading and inadequate designation in view of the apportioning
      of significant social status and spiritual authority to females.

      - non-dominant (conquered, low-class, repressed, serf, enslaved) society
      social structures and strategies where strong women are a necessity for
      survival at the barest minimum

      - "feminist" tendencies

      for starters check out the work of Tove Skutnabb-Kangas who has done
      extensive work in showing how the role of education and language policies
      ironically destroys as well as supports the world's linguistic diversity.

      ditto for scholarship that also reduces the complexities and diversities
      of human co-evolutionary bio-culture by generalizing from what is
      essentially pre-selected data.

      aija
      ps on the topic of love: more universal than knowing about love is the
      experience of abandonment, mistreatment, loneliness, inadequacy. what
      does an eight-year old trafficked into sexual or seat-shop slavery,
      sometimes even by the parents, know of love?
      no time for comments on other interesting points right now...