RE: [existlist] To the Gentleman of the Lake

  • Herman B. Triplegood
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      The remark about transcendentalists was also very offensive. I took that
      quite personally. But that's okay. I'll get over it.

      Louise:

      I happen to be reading Donald Brown's Human Universals right now. (taking a
      break from Descartes for a few days) Are you familiar with his ideas? He
      takes to task the cultural relativism that was the reigning paradigm in
      anthropology in the twentieth century. I have no idea if it still is.
      Anyway, it has given me cause to poke around a bit and get up to speed on
      some of the thinking among sociologists and the like regarding nature and
      nurture, and cultural conditioning versus biological conditioning. The sense
      I get is that there ain't no black and white here. It's a little bit nature,
      and a little bit nurture. Biology plays a part, but so does culture. What
      are your thoughts?

      Hb3g

      _____

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        In a message dated 02/12/2005 16:10:38 GMT Standard Time, Hb3g@...
        writes:

        The remark about transcendentalists was also very offensive. I took that
        quite personally. But that's okay. I'll get over it.

        As to your ignorant and offensive remark concerning the philosopher
        Heidegger, you speak out your arse. Yes, you are my senior, I dare
        thus affront you on account of my own regard for honour. At least I
        have made attempts to grapple with the Professor's thinking on the
        nature of time and human experience.

        yours for the English,

        Perdita
        ... saving her neurons ...

        Jud:

        I think of you fondly too Perdita as you sit nodding and toothless before
        your flickering fire, toasting bread to go with your hortobágyi
        húsospalacsinta, and watching the bright burning coals crackling in the hearth with your
        rheumy eyes and gummy smile - dreaming your soteriological myths of
        white-coated coffee-coloured messiahs rushing to the rescue of *mind* Martin
        {merrylegs] Heidegger and constipated cataleptics before the onset of the
        unavoidable schizophrenia, epilepsy, and hysteria. Yes, the good ole the ways of yore.
        The good old days of electric shock and straight-jackets when we and the
        world were young. ;-)

        What attracts me to you is your obvious humanity, sensitivity, good nature
        and quiet politeness [I am a good judge of character] which goes a long way
        to make up for your obvious lack of intelligence, for I spot an apologist for
        the Nazi monster Heidegger - [an inveterate liar according to his teenage
        girlfriend] and the fantasy of his puerile *ontological difference* and his
        pathetic gerundial mannikin Dasein, (voiding its neonate meconium since 1928].

        Sit back in your chair, get out and dust down that ancient His Master's
        Voice 33-rpm record of: In the Shade of the old Apple Tree - wind up the old
        gramophone and enjoy. You could imagine yourself partnering the liar Martin
        in personal hand-to-hand combat against a personified versions of decency and
        loyalty maybe?

        It's all good fun to see you like alcohol, [I can spot one a mile away] but
        isn't it a bit early in the day? It must be difficult to cope when one
        becomes addicted I guess - but why not try to pace yourself a bit? Anyway
        I'll let you get back to your tippling and believing your myths, and let you
        dream up much of your self-indulgent scribblings a little longer, before the
        cold wind of reality insinuates its way around the chimney-pots, into the
        window of your nursery and wafts all your childish transcendentalist
        playthings into the dustbin of human pretentiousness. ;-)