the whole enchilada

  • mer_e_jo
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
      This is the entire paper. I post material of this nature, because so
      much of existentialism addresses the individual and society.
      Evolutionary science brings much to this discussion. After all, some
      things are never off the table.

      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kruger/ep6.html

      Mary
    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        > This is the entire paper. I post material of this nature, because so
        > much of existentialism addresses the individual and society.
        > Evolutionary science brings much to this discussion. After all, some
        > things are never off the table.

        > http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kruger/ep6.html
        > Mary

        sorry, i haven't time to adequately respond right now (maybe in a week and
        a half), but glancing at this paper, this type of "evolutionary" (=social
        Darwinist) top-down grand theory within the tradition of monoculturizing
        tendencies of researchers who do not always go beyond the most accessible
        cultures (esp. in terms of language many, many of which have been ignored
        and not at all explored) omits quite a few things that don't fit that well
        in its grand narrative.

        just off the top of my head:

        - bonobos

        - anthropological studies that suggest an egalitarian (more than
        male-dominant) social structure among archaic acephalous forager
        band-style societies like the !Kung who do not maintain economic
        surpluses, lack centralized authority, and have no sharp divisions of
        status or rank.

        - anthropological and archaeological evidence in Southeast Asia and
        pre-industrial northern Eurasia for the development of parallel and
        complementary male and female divisions of labor where "male dominance"
        may be a misleading and inadequate designation in view of the apportioning
        of significant social status and spiritual authority to females.

        - non-dominant (conquered, low-class, repressed, serf, enslaved) society
        social structures and strategies where strong women are a necessity for
        survival at the barest minimum

        - "feminist" tendencies

        for starters check out the work of Tove Skutnabb-Kangas who has done
        extensive work in showing how the role of education and language policies
        ironically destroys as well as supports the world's linguistic diversity.

        ditto for scholarship that also reduces the complexities and diversities
        of human co-evolutionary bio-culture by generalizing from what is
        essentially pre-selected data.

        aija
        ps on the topic of love: more universal than knowing about love is the
        experience of abandonment, mistreatment, loneliness, inadequacy. what
        does an eight-year old trafficked into sexual or seat-shop slavery,
        sometimes even by the parents, know of love?
        no time for comments on other interesting points right now...