BOINC

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Herman, Yes ,that is the software to which I was referring. The
      other participation areas listed were most interesting. As a product
      of Berkely, and the sensitivity of the subject matters, I would
      expect monitoring from many interested partys. Some of those are
      the very associations I wish to avoid. I vision some lurking
      intelligence gnome gleaning meanings from offhand remarks splashed
      out in such sites.
      The things we discuss here are relatively benign and that is the
      way I personally like it. I must compliment you for most precise
      work but admit a reticence for contribution because thinking that
      deeply truly gives me a headache.
      The name of the software seems particularly apt, coming from Berkley
      and being a substitute for a particular sex act .The thought police,
      you know, are out to boinc us. Bill
    • Herman B. Triplegood
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        As long as the government doesn’t come knocking on my door, wanting to take
        me away, for incitement to Cartesianism, I feel that I am fairly benign in
        most all of the contexts where I participate in discussion. I really do
        enjoy just digging in and working through the philosophical texts. Descartes
        is my current project, hence the tongue in cheek reference to Cartesianism.
        I am not an academic, you know, just a college dropout from several decades
        ago who has maintained a lively personal interest in philosophy and science
        over the years. You might say that all of this is my hobby. But you know how
        people’s hobbies can be. They can be more passionate about their hobbies
        than about their jobs or even their careers at times. I butter my bread
        babysitting a wireless switching center on the graveyard shift. It is a big
        beast of a machine made of all kinds of smaller machines, computers tied to
        computers, making the phone calls happen for drug dealer’s and Volvo driving
        middle class American families on their way to Albertson’s with a phone
        glued to their ear. Yes, I’m a telecommunications geek in my other life,
        with a smattering of internetworking experience to go along with it. Reading
        the books on philosophy and science inspires me and gives me a sense that my
        marriage of convenience with technology might actually be a part of a
        greater existential meaning. I have also been known to hang out with tree
        huggers and various other spiritual oddities and even stage magicians.
        Alchemy is one of my interests too, but I am not yet naïve enough to believe
        that I can open up a gold manufacturing business anytime real soon. I guess
        you could say that if I were given a choice between passion and reason, I
        would want to say that reason is my passion, or that my passion is the
        pursuit of reason, however elusive that might prove to be. It is an
        existential thing. But I also have an insatiable curiosity for the
        mysterious. I cannot resist things like the Gita or the Rig Veda. It is like
        the candy that goes with the bread of philosophy and the meat and potatoes
        of science. Reason for dinner, and mysticism for dessert. Why not?

        Hb3g

        _____

        Herman, Yes ,that is the software to which I was referring. The
        other participation areas listed were most interesting. As a product
        of Berkely, and the sensitivity of the subject matters, I would
        expect monitoring from many interested partys. Some of those are
        the very associations I wish to avoid. I vision some lurking
        intelligence gnome gleaning meanings from offhand remarks splashed
        out in such sites.
        The things we discuss here are relatively benign and that is the
        way I personally like it. I must compliment you for most precise
        work but admit a reticence for contribution because thinking that
        deeply truly gives me a headache.
        The name of the software seems particularly apt, coming from Berkley
        and being a substitute for a particular sex act .The thought police,
        you know, are out to boinc us. Bill

        Philosophy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Philosophy+book&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=M
        erleau-ponty&c=2&s=40&.sig=5uQxFeDiUWl_K-ZckJ6K5g> book

        Merleau-ponty
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Merleau-ponty&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=Mer
        leau-ponty&c=2&s=40&.sig=jIAUkASUGmdzsmfF6qrJww>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "existlist
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist> " on the web.