Re: [existlist] he never goes away

  • peno hardesty
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
      i carried this thought to rehersal, st francis is everpresent in the marshlands that surround me.i,too, do not like being stared at, is that why i dance?

      louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote: ...

      To keep an eye on the ball is a very salutary and Matthew Arnoldian
      practice, but it should not be permitted to induce you to forget
      that what you are engaged in is a game of football, or, if you
      prefer it, of cosmological pingpong. What you are doing with the
      ball you've got your eye on, this also matters. The thing in
      itself, the identifiable object, can no more be isolated from all
      other objects - and illuminated to a greater or lesser degree by
      them - than we ourselves can be isolated from one another without
      that isolation misaffecting our judgment and our nature. I can
      introduce here that law of unpredictability enunciated by Max
      Planck - or was it Heidegger? - which says simply that molecules,
      when looked at, behave in an altogether more self-conscious and
      unpredictable fashion from how they behave when not looked at. And
      the reason why molecules do not like being looked at, is that, like
      everything else, they do not wish to surrender their secrets. And
      one of the great secrets of objects, of subjects, and, I suspect,
      molecules is that they all love one another. I was informed of this
      by Saint Francis of Assisi.

      George Barker. [St. George and the Long-Snouted Allegory]