RE: [existlist] Love Defined...?

  • shilpa hiwase
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hi Hermen ,
      I read your view on love i was expecting reciprocation in love but now i think i have understood what is meant by love ! its just giving without any expectation ! I appreciate your view !
      Thanks!

    • richard campo
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
        I wouldn't usually post the typical internet circulars that tend to do the
        rounds, but I felt I would add to the discussion an intersting email I had
        on the topic of love....from a childs perspective......it made me wonder at
        what point existential angst kicks in...?

        Do you remember how you saw the world when you were younger? How is the
        reality of the world different from how you see it know? I'm intrigued by
        how our lived experiences distort the way we percieve the world.

        Whilst I'm humbled by the writings of the existentialists, becuase my eyes
        have been opened wide by thier perspective on relating to and living in the
        world.

        However at the same time, I loved the purity of the childrens
        answers......unspoilt and free from conditioning and lived life experiences
        yet beautiful and insightful...........

        What does Love mean?

> [...]
        >
        > she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make
        >
        > sure the taste is OK." Danny - age 7
        >

        > "Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you
        >
        > get tired of kissing, you still want to be together
        >
        > and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like that.
        >
        > They look gross when they kiss" Emily - age 8
        >

        > "Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if
        >
        > you stop opening presents and listen." Bobby - age 7
        >
        > (Wow!)
        >

        > "If you want to learn to love better, you should
        >
        > start with a friend who you hate," Nikka - age 6 (we
        >
        > need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)
        >

        > "Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt,
        >
        > then he wears it everyday." Noelle - age 7
        >

        > "Love is like a little old woman and a little old
        >
        > man who are still friends even after they know each
        >
        > other so well." Tommy - age 6
        >

        > "During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was
        >
        > scared. I looked at all the people watching me and
        >
        > saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one
        >
        > doing that. I wasn't scared anymore." Cindy - age 8
        >

        > "My mommy loves me more than anybody . You don't see
        >
        > anyone else kissing me to sleep at night." Clare -
        >
        > age 6
        >

        > "Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of
        >
        > chicken." Elaine - age 5
        >

        > "Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and
        >
        > still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford."
        >
        > Chris - age 7
        >

        > "Love is when your puppy licks your face even after
        >
        > you left him alone all day." Mary Ann - age 4
        >

        > "I know my older sister loves me because she gives
        >
        > me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new
        >
        > ones." Lauren - age 4
        >

        > "When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and
        >
        > down and little stars come out of you." (what an
        >
        > imagination) Karen - age 7
        >

        > "Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she
        >
        > doesn't think it's gross." Mark - age 6
        >

        > "You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you
        >
        > mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a
        >
        > lot. People forget." Jessica - age 8
        >

        > And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo
        >
        > Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked >
        >
        > to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the
        >
        > most caring child. The winner was a four year old
        >
        > child whose next door neighbour was an elderly
        >
        > gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon
        >
        > seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old
        >
        > gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat
        >
        > there. When his Mother asked what he had said to the
        >
        > neighbour, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just
        >
        > helped him cry"

        >From: shilpa hiwase <activeshippy@...>
        >To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [existlist] Love Defined...?
        >Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:14:36 -0800 (PST)
        >

        > Hi Hermen ,
        > I read your view on love i was expecting
        >reciprocation in love but now i think i have understood what is meant by
        >love ! its just giving without any expectation ! I appreciate your view !

      • Herman B. Triplegood
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
          These glimpses into the child's view on love are exquisite. The two I liked
          most was the boy who helped the man cry and the other where the boy said
          love was what's in the room at Christmas.

          Yes, my remark on love had that element of expectation in mind too. But here
          is a twist. The one true love I had in my life really carried no expectation
          with it. We were both in the moment for a time. What broke it wasn't her not
          meeting my expectations, at least not any that I was conscious of, but the
          kind of person she actually was. It was almost as if I was blissfully blind
          to the train wreck coming down the tracks. When I woke up to that, she had
          had an affair, and it was never possible to go back to the way things were.
          You can be in love with somebody, I think, and be blind to elements of their
          character that would turn you away early on if only you were willing to look
          at them. Then again, I lost a dear friend last January, a lover of
          philosophy like me, who had the usual character defects that people have,
          yet, I saw through all of that, and somehow I understood the humanity that
          was really underneath all of the pretenses. He died courageously, and before
          he finally passed that blaze that used to be in his eyes when I first came
          to know him almost three decades ago returned. He had to let go of the
          words, he said, and in his final weeks expressed a profound sense of
          acknowledgment toward what Wittgenstein had to say about saying and silence.
          He told me that he spent his whole life wrapped up in words, but in the end,
          the words had only gotten in his way. In his final moments, he passed with
          his eyes open, with a look of wonder, like a child who had just discovered
          something astonishing.

          Perhaps, to invoke Mr. Wittgenstein here, love is something that cannot
          really be said, hence, a definition never quite grasps its complete meaning;
          rather, love is a thing that is shown or looked upon, and that evokes a
          sense of wonder, or astonishment. Normally, taking our cue from Plato and
          others, we tend to think of the basis of love as being something like an
          attraction. But the reason for the attraction, in the first place, it seems
          to me, is the wonder that is evoked by the object of love. In this case,
          love operates upon us a lot like beauty does and it makes sense that we tend
          to find, or want to find, love and beauty together.

          Hb3g

          _____

> [...]

          > Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked >
          >
          > to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the
          >
          > most caring child. The winner was a four year old
          >
          > child whose next door neighbour was an elderly
          >
          > gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon
          >
          > seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old
          >
          > gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat
          >
          > there. When his Mother asked what he had said to the
          >
          > neighbour, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just
          >
          > helped him cry"

          >From: shilpa hiwase <activeshippy@...>
          >To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [existlist] Love Defined...?
          >Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:14:36 -0800 (PST)
          >

          > Hi Hermen ,
          > I read your view on love i was expecting
          >reciprocation in love but now i think i have understood what is meant by
          >love ! its just giving without any expectation ! I appreciate your view !

          Philosophy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Philosophy+book&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=M
          erleau-ponty&c=2&s=40&.sig=5uQxFeDiUWl_K-ZckJ6K5g> book

          Merleau-ponty
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Merleau-ponty&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=Mer
          leau-ponty&c=2&s=40&.sig=jIAUkASUGmdzsmfF6qrJww>

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "existlist
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist> " on the web.