Timing Seems to be Everything

  • mer_e_jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2005
      Time seems to be a constant, relatively speaking. Fundamentally, time
      is inextricably related to distance. In other words, if there wasn't
      distance between particles and no distance between larger objects,
      there wouldn't be time, or conscious awareness of anything.
      Subjectivity also seems to arise from distance.

      Over time, time became a tool of communication and survival for our
      species. To know the cycle of the stars and seasons meant life or
      death, but we take all this for granted. Remove this common
      observation from our species and chaos might ensue. Even non-human
      species respond or react to natural rhythms and random threats,
      though they don't seem to think* about them.

      Brain studies about how we perceive time will probably better answer
      questions about cinema-like discontinuity and unconscious perception.
      How can we overcome our biological wiring? People who have
      intentionally altered, organically damaged, or simply different
      perceptions of time also contribute to further understanding.
      Anomalies also teach.

      But what is the intent of the phenomenologist regarding time? Is it
      scientifically unbiased? Science fiction and mysticism offer the
      possibilities of transcending the boundaries of linear time by making
      it a fabric or a circle. How do people "see" or dream about a past
      and future of which they couldn't logically be aware? Scientists like
      Oxford's Susan Blakemore are studying paranormal phenomena/psi to
      explain whether these boundaries are as fixed as presently
      understood. The results of imagination and science could yield even
      greater freedoms than those proposed by our Existentialists.

      So just how can understanding time differently than our common
      experience of it make an appreciable difference in our lives? I
      suppose the possibilities are endless, unless we run out of time and
      money. Seems to me that wise governments and scientists should direct
      their efforts to extend our species' survival. We can only trust that
      they are. It's pretty obvious that radical religious and radical
      nihilists want us to be extinct. Mix in some mega-corporate greed,
      natural disasters, genocides, plagues, and bad planning we've got
      lots of bad times ahead.

      In the meantime, I'm glad I know that in the temperate region, if I
      put some corn seeds in the ground about May 15th, sometime in
      September, I might have something to eat. I'm also happy to know that
      if I set the alarm clock, I'll wake up, go to work and earn some
      money to buy someone else's corn. Or, if all that fails, I can mark
      time with each sunrise and sunset until my death. I'll always have
      something to do or think about. I've yet to learn how to put insomnia
      and ADD to good practical use.

      Mary Jo