Re: Inchoate amid the stones

  • trop_de_simones
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
      aija,

      I probably should have extended the quotation marks to include that
      thought as well as the preceeding sentence. (Although the
      quote, "Where do we go from here?" is a famous one.)

      I've just finished reading some existential fiction and non-fiction
      (most of which I've referenced in the past few months), and I see
      many political and personal similarities to our present situation. It
      is a time of great reaction. At the time I referred to, this amazing
      group of philosophical writers tried desperately to find the varying
      alternatives of which you speak. Unfortunately, the other newspapers,
      public figures and the public at large could not break free from
      seeing life from only those two perspectives, though both are extreme
      and totalitarian. It was such a problem for Sartre, Camus, Beauvoir,
      Merleau-Ponty and all their friends, that many of them believed they
      had to choose sides. Many important friendships ended as a result.
      They had the core for an important alternative future; but I think
      that group was too cynical about capitalism and too optimistic about
      Marxism. In the end it probably did not matter. As they suspected,
      their time was passing in the political arena. However, since their
      era of questioning and writing, there has not been much to rave
      about. Most everything was exposed and debated then: politics,
      morality, freedom, individuality, etc.

      I suspect that by the time the malaise is shattered by catastrophic
      events, there truly will not be much to coalesce around. Maintaining
      our dignity, survival and such will be the topic of discussion. As
      Trinidad once asked, "Will the wolf survive?"

      Simone

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@i...>
      wrote:

      > > Do we have to choose between the extremes of fascism or
      communism? Are
      > > there no other choices?
      >
      > among many balts the two are not seen as polar opposites, but two
      > different branches of the same xtreme. they're even popularly
      called the
      > red and brown versions of fascism (=violent utopianism). this is
      from
      > their differing historical experience.
      >
      > and yes, there are, at least in theory, alternatives to the view
      that
      > all-powerful violent imperialisms are the only players who count.
      some

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "trop_de_simones"
        <trop_de_simones@y...> wrote:
        > Aside from the poor souls who have legitimate reasons for their
        > suffering, why is it that so many of us struggle to be happy?

        Forgiveness has its place in human life. It is the individual who
        knows, who understands, place, in such context. Kierkegaard's
        religious pseudonymous author, Anti-Climacus, in 'Concluding
        Unscientific Postscript', offers clarity for those with the
        requisite intellect and opportunity, regarding the nature of
        judgment, especially critical judgment of one's fellow-man, within
        the domain of a particular philosophical tradition, often
        called 'Western', in which abstract categories are employed. I
        think it would be accurate to credit Aristotle with laying those
        foundations.

        So I refer again to Part Two of the 'Postscript'.
        From Chapter III, for instance,
        'One human being cannot judge another ethically, because he cannot
        understand him except as a possibility.' [p286, OUP 1945 ed.,
        translated D. Swenson, completed W. Lowrie]
        Or this from Chapter II,
        'Socrates was an ethical teacher, but he took cognizance of the non-
        existence of any direct relationship between teacher and pupil,
        because the truth is inwardness, and because this inwardness in each
        is precisely the road which leads them away from one another.'
        [p221, ibid.]

        So this is all intended as [indirect] commentary on Simone's aside.
        For myself, I gasp. To be sure, I would never seek forgiveness,
        even from God Almighty, for being simply laconic.

        "the fish in fine fettle"