Guilt and Innocence in Existentialism

  • Benjamin Berk
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2005
      I need to present the topic of guilt and innocence in Existentialism
      for my English class tomorrow, and I'm having a bit of trouble
      understanding it. I've found both that existentialists believe in
      complete individuality, and that each person is responsible for their
      own actions. Also, I've read that the 'good decision' is the one that
      allows freedom for the most number of people. Does this mean that
      you're free to make your own decisions always with the ultimate goal
      of benefiting other individuals? If so, what happens with traditional
      authority and societal laws?
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Berk" <skacrusader07@y...>
        wrote:
        > I need to present the topic of guilt and innocence in Existentialism
        > for my English class tomorrow, and I'm having a bit of trouble
        > understanding it. I've found both that existentialists believe in
        > complete individuality, and that each person is responsible for their
        > own actions. Also, I've read that the 'good decision' is the one that
        > allows freedom for the most number of people. Does this mean that
        > you're free to make your own decisions always with the ultimate goal
        > of benefiting other individuals? If so, what happens with traditional
        > authority and societal laws?

        If you really want to get tangled up in the guilt innocence quandry
        try Stuart Hampshire and Isaiah Berlin. Should keep you busy for
        years. To keep it simple Tosh should do. You have an interesting yahoo
        screenname. Do I detect a rasta bent?

        tc