Re: [existlist] Nihilism

  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
    Message 1 of 173 , Oct 1, 2005
      > Oh, we have that innate ability all right. But a closer look at the
      > bloody [at times barbaric] nature of human history to date shows it is
      > in competition with a few other innate tendencies as well. At least
      > regarding the male of the species. george

      > Upon reflection we can see that the origin of our moral values is our
      > innate ability to care for the well-being of persons. (jtate)

      so the innate ability to care is what there is to work with. the other
      innate tendencies (whose selection for success and dominance are
      increasingly becoming a threat to human survival) don't seem to have the
      same potential for positive change.

      as for fear of death, one may fear loosing meaningful purpose of life more
      than death - becoming useless, unwanted, a burden.

      aija
    • PoetCSW
      Message 173 of 173 , Jan 14, 2011
        Someone on television -- I am not sure of the network, since I was busy staring at my computer screen -- just said the Arizona shooting was nihilism on display.

        Apparently, two friends of the perpetrator have said he called himself a nihilist. I wanted to respond, but this seems the only place where people might know the answer.

        1) Wasn't "nihilism" a Russian movement to overturn a corrupt government, not merely a call to destroy everything and anything? It devolved, certainly, but I thought it was a defined moment in Russian history.

        2) Even current "nihilists" and "anarchists" in Greece and Spain seem to be focused on social issues. I might dislike their methods, but it appears the Mediterranean nihilists are closely aligned with a historical "anarchists" movement. Is that incorrect?

        I know, with some level of certainty, that "nihilism" is not random violence. It is a defined belief, even a scientific or pragmatic movement that sought to rebel against the Romantic, the idealistic, the general trends in Continental thought. In this light, nihilism is an opposite to existentialism or some forms of anarchism. I always associated nihilism with the rise of Western and Soviet Marxism, two movements that nihilists viewed as incomplete, still to idealistic.

        Admittedly, not one of my university courses spent any time on nihilism. I think the only mention might have been while we were discussing Russian film and rhetoric.

        - C. S.