MM-P

  • trop_de_simones
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2005
      "The whole universe of science is built upon the world as directly
      experienced, and if we want to subject science itself to a rigorous
      scrutiny, and arrive at a precise assessment of its meaning and
      scope, we must begin by reawakening the basic experience of the
      world, of which science is the second-order expression". Unlike
      Heidegger, he does not have a dismissive attitude towards science,
      namely, that it "does not think" or that it is merely calculation. On
      the contrary, in Merleau-Ponty's thought there is a constant dialogue
      with the sciences in the hope of a mutual clarification.

      by Bernard Flynn
      Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
      Copyright 2004

      Maurice Merleau-Ponty was an intimate of Camus, Beauvoir, Sartre,
      Koestler, etc. He sided with the Communists, when Camus said Marxism
      was the equivalent of murder. They had dramatic public
      confrontations. Camus was passionately opposed to violence. MM-P was
      more a phenomenalist than an existentialist, and of this group, he
      was the most interested in science. His main thesis was to destroy
      the myth of dualism and restore mankind to its wholeness. And
      although his work is definitely a precursor to the mind/body studies
      of today, I don't know if he would be in agreement with today's
      cognitive sciences which often almost go to the opposite extreme by
      portraying men as machines, our brains as a central computer. He
      seemed more interested than his peers in explaining the connections
      among all living creatures and their universe.

      Simone