Gallic enquiries

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2005
      paragraph tossed into the mix:

      # Even when we arrive at the conviction that free will (*liber
      arbitrio*) is nothing but an illusion, we still find repugnant a
      conclusion, thence, that the self* is a complexity; so greatly do we
      feel it a unity - so great is the impression* of unity which we get
      from it. What prevents us from supposing that the instants of the
      succession of being succeed each other, in us, as rapidly as the
      fragmentary images of the cinema, which in their succession produce
      the illusion of life? #

      From 'Dust for Sparrows' [Poudre aux Moineaux], by Remy de Gourmont.
      Published in 'The Translations of Ezra Pound',
      Faber & Faber, enlarged edition, 1970.

      I post this because, though a fragment, it is emphatically a
      philosophical fragment, attentive to what we may say about life,
      thought, feeling, rather than analysing language in such manner we
      fail to begin with a conscious subject. Science seems so apt to
      fall into the error of abstracting from the existing being. Gee,
      I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

      Louise