Fwd: [existlist] hello all

  • NEFILIM001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hi Rebecca;
      I am a Zen Sort of Dude... [::smiling::], or was. I tend to drift
      away from [precise] definitions--once having understood the kernel of a
      concept. I am this way about most Philosophies and Understandings. I like the
      'learning', but can do without the consistent weekly Group Meetings. I feel I
      can always pull up the detailed 'Writings' from Old Books and OnLine. Just
      Basic Understanding is the key for me. Believing in essentially *Nothing,
      really, is what I am about.

      An instructor a few years ago, cautioned me to look into Zen more than that
      of ZenBuddhism. I do not presently recall the definitive differences, but I
      seem to know Zen is somehow 'Pure'(er)--and a less "Religious" concept than
      Zen Buddhism. I see Zen as rather an Absolute smattering of Being And
      Nothingness inbetween the lemon 'jello' blades of a loosly compacted Universe.

      The commercial working-class *Motorcycle Zens ADs; upper middleclass
      *SwimmingPool Zens and *BellAire(California) Zens seem to have taken over 'popular'
      American consciousness.

      Sincerely,
      Frank
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      " "..Much of the Western world's interest in Zen is based on our
      growing awareness that the literal, the pragmatic, and the rational, while
      useful, often fail to explain the phenomena of the emotions, the unconscious, and
      the subconscious. Insights gleaned from psychoanalysis and various other
      forms of therapy have better prepared us for noncognitive enlightenment and
      paradox and non sequitur--it is no longer an unthinkable step from "The first
      shall be last and the last shall be first" to "The way that can be described is
      not the true way" and "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" The Buddha
      said, "If you try to see me through my form, or if you try to hear me through my
      voice, you will never reach me and will remain forever a stranger to my
      teaching." "