RE: Digest Number 90

  • Gretchyn Lenger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 1999
      Yana,

      I think I understand what you're saying and what your fears are. My
      perspective is this. Regardless of cloning, even if you, as you are in
      your totality reincarnated thousands of times I don't think you would live
      the exact same life you are now. For every choice you have ever made there
      were numerous alternate choices that could have steared you on a
      completely different path. If you took all these incarnations and looked
      at them in hindsight, I think they would all be very different. Each time
      it would have been you - same hair and eye color, same abilities,
      proclivities, etc. But there are so many variables in each individual
      life, that the person who emerges at the end of each life path would be
      very different. Hopefully my hasty hypothetical makes some sense.

      That being said, if you were cloned, those physical characteristics would
      be the same, but I personally believe the spirit would be unique and the
      choices innumerable. Even a Hitler clone could make completely different
      choices - maybe finish art school and stay out of politics completely!

      I do think there is merit to the argument that there are enough neglected
      people already living on this planet. I understand how cloning feels
      superfluous in the face of that. But there will always be that unavoidable
      drive in humans to forge ahead even if they leave behind an unfinished
      job. Many have argued against the space program for decades based on this
      same viewpoint but that drive to explore and experiment with the yet
      unknown persists.

      - Gretchyn