Simone's Transcendence

  • trop_de_simones
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2005
      Is not most of Beauvoir's use of the term in the context of sexism?
      Transcendence usually means overcoming one's situation, not overcoming
      one's being. So in this sense it is a positive. The negative use is
      when we try to overcome our very human-ness through dogma and artifice,
      commodity and objectivization. We have permission to transcend and
      ascend until we descend!

      Simone