Re: "It really makes us look very much like Bangladesh or Baghdad"

  • trop_de_simones
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      Hello Rebecca,

      I wonder how many that have marched out onto the highway and out of
      NoLa are wondering when they'll be able to return and have those
      hauntingly raucous jazz funerals.

      Isn't it marvelous that they no longer blame such horrifying natural
      disasters upon Mother Nature, Notre Madame de la Mer? Well, almost.
      Though many attribute these to some mysterious and masculine divine
      retribution, hurricanes still have feminine names.

      Simone

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, goeswithness@i... wrote:
      > Hello everybody,
      >
      > This is my first post, so let me say I'm looking forward to this
      experience.

      > I think this event is exposing our feelings and beliefs about all
      sorts of
      > things: most profoundly, as individuals or collectively, do we
      think that some
      > people are expendible? Are there people in the world we can't
      identify with to
      > the point that their suffering and deaths, while "officially"
      tragic, honestly
      > don't bother us very much? How we feel about race and poverty are
      the two big
      > ones being discussed, but, as in this example, how we feel about
      New Orleans
      > culturally is in the mix as well. And it's pretty clear how this
      group in the
      > article feels about New Orleans culture, isn't it? And personal
      freedom as
      > expressed through sexuality, obviously.
      >
      > I've never been there, and some of my selfish thoughts are about
      the fact that
      > I'll never be able to experience it as it was. Anybody see that
      benefit
      > concert on tv last night? I just caught the end, where Winton
      Marsalis was
      > leading the Dixieland band and Harry Connick Jr. was singing "When
      the Saints
      > Go Marching In." That music is so happy, and just sounded
      wonderful to me at
      > that moment, but in my head I was envisioning the whole culture
      kind of
      > marching out the door to this tune. But that's what a New Orleans
      funeral is
      > all about, isn't it?
      >
      > Rebecca W.

    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
        > Anybody see that benefit concert on tv last night? I just caught the
        > end, where Winton Marsalis was leading the Dixieland band and Harry
        > Connick Jr. was singing "When the Saints Go Marching In." That music is
        > so happy, and just sounded wonderful to me at that moment, but in my
        > head I was envisioning the whole culture kind of marching out the door
        > to this tune. But that's what a New Orleans funeral is all about, isn't
        > it? Rebecca W.

        someone on the latvian list sardonically riposted to the sin city
        punishment take, maybe God is tired of the blues and jazz.

        jazz of course represents a blend of the musical culture of three
        continents - created by Afro-Americans in an American setting African
        musical traditions using European marching band models:

        "Jazz is something Negroes invented, and it said the most profound things
        -- not only about us and the way we look at things, but about what modern
        democratic life is really about... jazz has all the elements, from the
        spare and penetrating to the complex and enveloping. It is the hardest
        music to play that I know of, and it is the highest rendition of
        INDIVIDUAL EMOTION in the history of Western music."
        /Wynton Marsalis, jazz trumpet/

        aija
      • goeswithness@insightbb.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
          Hi Simone,

          It's interesting to me that in efforts to understand why things happen, they
          have to be pinned on a god or goddess at all. I'm not being disrespectful
          towards belief. I don't firmly believe or not believe myself. But all that is
          kind of beside the point when it's so clear that we as human beings could have
          made some bad decisions all along the way that allowed this hurricane to be as
          destructive as it was. God we can only speculate about. Environmental
          policies are our responsibility.

          Rebecca

        • roderik vaught
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
            well said

            goeswithness@... wrote:Hi Simone,

            It's interesting to me that in efforts to understand why things happen, they
            have to be pinned on a god or goddess at all. I'm not being disrespectful
            towards belief. I don't firmly believe or not believe myself. But all that is
            kind of beside the point when it's so clear that we as human beings could have
            made some bad decisions all along the way that allowed this hurricane to be as
            destructive as it was. God we can only speculate about. Environmental
            policies are our responsibility.

            Rebecca

            Philosophy book Existentialism philosophy Merleau-ponty

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
              Hello Rebecca.

              Thanks for helping me imagine I might cross the pond one day. At
              least the juggernauts steer clear of the ocean.

              Louise