Re: [existlist] "It really makes us look very much like Bangladesh or Baghdad"

  • goeswithness@insightbb.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      Hello everybody,

      This is my first post, so let me say I'm looking forward to this experience.

      I think this event is exposing our feelings and beliefs about all sorts of
      things: most profoundly, as individuals or collectively, do we think that some
      people are expendible? Are there people in the world we can't identify with to
      the point that their suffering and deaths, while "officially" tragic, honestly
      don't bother us very much? How we feel about race and poverty are the two big
      ones being discussed, but, as in this example, how we feel about New Orleans
      culturally is in the mix as well. And it's pretty clear how this group in the
      article feels about New Orleans culture, isn't it? And personal freedom as
      expressed through sexuality, obviously.

      I've never been there, and some of my selfish thoughts are about the fact that
      I'll never be able to experience it as it was. Anybody see that benefit
      concert on tv last night? I just caught the end, where Winton Marsalis was
      leading the Dixieland band and Harry Connick Jr. was singing "When the Saints
      Go Marching In." That music is so happy, and just sounded wonderful to me at
      that moment, but in my head I was envisioning the whole culture kind of
      marching out the door to this tune. But that's what a New Orleans funeral is
      all about, isn't it?

      Rebecca W.

    • trop_de_simones
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hello Rebecca,

        I wonder how many that have marched out onto the highway and out of
        NoLa are wondering when they'll be able to return and have those
        hauntingly raucous jazz funerals.

        Isn't it marvelous that they no longer blame such horrifying natural
        disasters upon Mother Nature, Notre Madame de la Mer? Well, almost.
        Though many attribute these to some mysterious and masculine divine
        retribution, hurricanes still have feminine names.

        Simone

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, goeswithness@i... wrote:
        > Hello everybody,
        >
        > This is my first post, so let me say I'm looking forward to this
        experience.

        > I think this event is exposing our feelings and beliefs about all
        sorts of
        > things: most profoundly, as individuals or collectively, do we
        think that some
        > people are expendible? Are there people in the world we can't
        identify with to
        > the point that their suffering and deaths, while "officially"
        tragic, honestly
        > don't bother us very much? How we feel about race and poverty are
        the two big
        > ones being discussed, but, as in this example, how we feel about
        New Orleans
        > culturally is in the mix as well. And it's pretty clear how this
        group in the
        > article feels about New Orleans culture, isn't it? And personal
        freedom as
        > expressed through sexuality, obviously.
        >
        > I've never been there, and some of my selfish thoughts are about
        the fact that
        > I'll never be able to experience it as it was. Anybody see that
        benefit
        > concert on tv last night? I just caught the end, where Winton
        Marsalis was
        > leading the Dixieland band and Harry Connick Jr. was singing "When
        the Saints
        > Go Marching In." That music is so happy, and just sounded
        wonderful to me at
        > that moment, but in my head I was envisioning the whole culture
        kind of
        > marching out the door to this tune. But that's what a New Orleans
        funeral is
        > all about, isn't it?
        >
        > Rebecca W.

      • Aija Veldre Beldavs
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
          > Anybody see that benefit concert on tv last night? I just caught the
          > end, where Winton Marsalis was leading the Dixieland band and Harry
          > Connick Jr. was singing "When the Saints Go Marching In." That music is
          > so happy, and just sounded wonderful to me at that moment, but in my
          > head I was envisioning the whole culture kind of marching out the door
          > to this tune. But that's what a New Orleans funeral is all about, isn't
          > it? Rebecca W.

          someone on the latvian list sardonically riposted to the sin city
          punishment take, maybe God is tired of the blues and jazz.

          jazz of course represents a blend of the musical culture of three
          continents - created by Afro-Americans in an American setting African
          musical traditions using European marching band models:

          "Jazz is something Negroes invented, and it said the most profound things
          -- not only about us and the way we look at things, but about what modern
          democratic life is really about... jazz has all the elements, from the
          spare and penetrating to the complex and enveloping. It is the hardest
          music to play that I know of, and it is the highest rendition of
          INDIVIDUAL EMOTION in the history of Western music."
          /Wynton Marsalis, jazz trumpet/

          aija
        • goeswithness@insightbb.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
            Hi Simone,

            It's interesting to me that in efforts to understand why things happen, they
            have to be pinned on a god or goddess at all. I'm not being disrespectful
            towards belief. I don't firmly believe or not believe myself. But all that is
            kind of beside the point when it's so clear that we as human beings could have
            made some bad decisions all along the way that allowed this hurricane to be as
            destructive as it was. God we can only speculate about. Environmental
            policies are our responsibility.

            Rebecca

          • roderik vaught
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
              well said

              goeswithness@... wrote:Hi Simone,

              It's interesting to me that in efforts to understand why things happen, they
              have to be pinned on a god or goddess at all. I'm not being disrespectful
              towards belief. I don't firmly believe or not believe myself. But all that is
              kind of beside the point when it's so clear that we as human beings could have
              made some bad decisions all along the way that allowed this hurricane to be as
              destructive as it was. God we can only speculate about. Environmental
              policies are our responsibility.

              Rebecca

              Philosophy book Existentialism philosophy Merleau-ponty

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
                Hello Rebecca.

                Thanks for helping me imagine I might cross the pond one day. At
                least the juggernauts steer clear of the ocean.

                Louise