notes

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      for all those doubting Bobs out there ...

      yes, i am alone. there are quite a few of us. Nietzsche's fleeting
      vision, which i struggle to describe in English - i
      think, 'bouleversant', 'coup de foudre' - the eternal ring of
      recurrence, the atheist's access to time dissolved, it is briefly
      described by, "what has been, is". true, you won't be convinced of
      what i mean unless you happen to grasp it, experience it. that's
      philosophy in action, that's existentialism, perhaps. interesting
      to extend it, so that logically is it right to say that Nietzsche's
      experience implies also, "what will be, is"? i don't feel that,
      myself. in fact, i start to smile, and think, 'che sera, sera.'

      then there's this word, 'faith'. im quite happy for you to hate
      that, your hate cannot hurt me and makes it easier for me to broach
      the subject. faith itself is disputably off-topic to the list,
      though it might be useful to attempt definition so that its
      respective relationship, if any, to the concepts of existentialism
      or philosophy might be clarified. i guess that religious faith in
      the Protestant tradition i know runs counter to ones own will. that
      in itself serves as [qualified/potentiated] guarantor to the idea
      that what one has faith in, is independent of ones will and entire
      existence. it kind of enters by force, after all ones effort has
      been expended trying to keep it out. yet it might be a gradual
      process. in my own case, it was very time-specific and dramatic, it
      was the event that rescued me when i thought i was on the verge of
      an everlasting insanity. yes, that is a kind of illusion in itself,
      yet it represents something horribly possible about human nature.
      you may call it irrational, to be so repelled by the nature of
      violence, given that it is normal on planet earth, and especially
      for primates. personally i find the usual calm of human beings when
      faced by news of violence to be deeply irrational also. anyway,
      violence in all its forms kept soaking into my consciousness, until
      i was ready to be entirely mad. what saved me i have faith in. to
      objectify and name that is a little tedious, especially for an easy-
      going cuddly scientific type like you ... forgive familiarity, i
      feel awkward with this topic, just feel it needed broaching.

      im finding it so difficult to make ends meet, so to speak,
      addressing any scientist interested in philosophy. my own favoured
      approach may be through classical grammar, illustrated by poetical
      text. there are many paths for explanation. we can only do what
      comes naturally. which can read as mere tautology, another reminder
      of the limitations of language.

      louise
      ... slightly though happily desperate ...