Re: back to basics

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      [Louise]
      ... I am continually struggling, whenever I come to existlist, to
      find an adequate definition for what existentialism might be,

      [Robert Keyes]
      Are you saying existentialism exists and you are trying to
      discover it, OR, you think you should be the one defining a concept
      namely existentialism. I hope is the latter or things could get
      complicated.. (some humor-only the last sentence of course).

      Louise
      Neither. Existentialism is a concept. Individuals exist, not
      concepts. I am a subjectivist. This means that clarifying its
      definition for myself is part of a process that is physical. If you
      wanted to put me in a lab twice a week for the purposes of taking
      objectively verifiable readings - CAT-scans etc.? - you might see
      some relationship between thinking about concepts and the effect on
      brain chemistry, feelings, behaviour, and so on. What CSW has
      described, as I recall, is a state of affairs in some academic
      institutions where analysis of word-structures entirely independent
      of lived life is thought to be the only philosophy worthy of the
      name. Whereas I would say that is not philosophy of any kind at
      all, more like a branch of scientific methodology (post-Newton)
      quite plausibly economically and socially noxious.

      [Louise] How would I distinguish its definition [that of
      existentialism] from that of philosophy?

      [Robert Keyes] You cant...

      Louise
      Why not??

      Plenty to be going on with here. If I tackle other questions, I'll
      put them in a different e-mail.
    • Robert Keyes
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
        Thought I sent this 2 days ago... stuck in my out box, humor error...(I
        would hate to judge it now, I might think differently, so I am sending it...

        Comments below

        ... I am continually struggling, whenever I come to existlist, to
        find an adequate definition for what existentialism might be,

        [Robert Keyes]
        Are you saying existentialism exists and you are trying to
        discover it, OR, you think you should be the one defining a concept
        namely existentialism. I hope is the latter or things could get
        complicated.. (some humor-only the last sentence of course).

        Louise
        Neither. Existentialism is a concept.

        [Robert Keyes] Of course it is a concept......

        Individuals exist, not
        concepts.

        [Robert Keyes] They both exist. Individuals come fist, then concepts. Thus
        The physics of the situation. It cannot be that thoughts make
        matter(discounting mysticism).

        I am a subjectivist. This means that clarifying its
        definition for myself is part of a process that is physical.

        If you
        wanted to put me in a lab twice a week for the purposes of taking
        objectively verifiable readings - CAT-scans etc.? - you might see
        some relationship between thinking about concepts and the effect on
        brain chemistry, feelings, behaviour, and so on.

        [Robert Keyes] Don't get emotional because you realize ugly reality.
        We are like computers. We have hardware and programming ability. (software).
        Software cannot exist without hardware.

        What CSW has
        described, as I recall, is a state of affairs in some academic
        institutions where analysis of word-structures entirely independent
        of lived life is thought to be the only philosophy worthy of the
        name.

        [Robert Keyes] First of all this is logically impossible. Humans define
        Words, and everything else, we cannot be eliminated from the equation .

        Whereas I would say that is not philosophy of any kind at
        all, more like a branch of scientific methodology (post-Newton)
        quite plausibly economically and socially noxious.

        [Robert Keyes] I am not for killing the weak either. But don't act like
        that is the only option.

        [Louise] How would I distinguish its definition [that of
        existentialism] from that of philosophy?

        [Robert Keyes] You cant...

        Louise
        Why not??

        [Robert Keyes] Because you have not defined the question stick enough to
        mean anything.

        Plenty to be going on with here. If I tackle other questions, I'll
        put them in a different e-mail.

        Bob....by the way Louise , I was playing with my new ipaq and saw your hot
        photo. You look 25. I imagined you as like 60. How old are you...

        Yahoo! Groups Links