an Item of enduring Objective Realism

  • NEFILIM001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      re The wonderful world of enlightenment casts so strong a light upon
      relative subject matter(s) that, especially in the relative NoonTime of our
      everlasting state of awareness, all (it seems) is bound to be purged (despite our
      subjective-openness) in the cleansing shower of the obviousness of the moment.
      --flw-r jr.

      IMMANUEL KANT's Influence on:

      'An Answer To The Question: What Is Enlightenment? (1784)... .'

      " "Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed
      immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance
      from another. This immaturity is self-imposed when its cause lies not in lack
      of understanding, but in lack of resolve and courage to use it without
      guidance from another. Sapere Aude! [dare to know] 'Have courage to use your own
      understanding!'--that is the motto of enlightenment.

      ~~ continuing... .)

      " "Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why so great a proportion
      of men, long after nature has released them from alien guidance (natura-liter
      maiorennes), nonetheless gladly remain in lifelong immaturity, and why it is
      so easy for others to establish themselves as their guardians. It is so
      easy to be immature. If I have a book to serve as my understanding, a pastor to
      serve as my conscience, a physician to determine my diet for me, and so on,
      I need not exert myself at all. I need not think, if only I can pay: others
      will readily undertake the irksome work for me. ...Having first made their
      domestic livestock dumb, and having carefully made sure that these docile
      creatures will not take a single step without the go-cart to which they are
      harnessed, these guardians then show them the danger that threatens them, should
      they attempt to walk alone. Now this danger is not actually so great, for
      after falling a few times they would in the end certainly learn to walk; but an
      example of this kind makes men timid and usually frightens them out of all
      further attempts." "
      " "...Nothing is required for this enlightenment, however, except
      freedom; and the freedom in question is the least harmful of all, namely, the
      freedom to use reason publicly in all matters. But on all sides I hear: 'Do
      not argue... !'

      concluding... .)

      " "A greater degree of civil freedom seems advantageous to a
      people's spiritual freedom; yet the former established impassable boundaries for the
      latter; conversely, a lesser degree of civil freedom provides enough room
      for all fully to expend their abilities. Thus, once nature has removed the
      hard shell from this kernel for which she has most fondly cared, namely, the
      inclination to and vocation for free thinking, the kernel gradually reacts on a
      people's mentality (whereby they become increasingly able to act freely), and
      it finally even influences the principles of government , which finds that
      it can profit by treating men, who are now more than machines, in accord with
      their dignity." "

      I. Kant
      Konigsberg in Prussia, 30 September 1784