an offering

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      I have cut and pasted the following message (with my husband's
      help! - there, you men, don't say we don't appreciate you), from
      yahoo allthemadmen group, where I made my internet participation
      debut [8 January 2004].

      Louise
      ... whose neurons are dazed ...

      Shakespeare's *Tempest*, Act III Scene ii.

      Stephano and Trinculo are drunk. The former urges Caliban to drink
      deep also, whilst the latter mocks him. Ariel enters invisibly, is
      witness to Stephano's manipulation of the other two, buffeting
      Trinculo to the amusement of Caliban, who readily supplies
      information for a plot to kill his master, Prospero. Stephano
      starts to sing, whilst Caliban objects it is not the right tune for
      the ditty. So Ariel plays the tune on a tabor and pipe. This
      unseen phenomenon draws forth the varying reactions of the three
      characters, taking us nearly to the end of the scene.

      Trinculo
      This is the tune of our catch, played by the picture of Nobody.

      Stephano
      If thou beest a man, show thyself in thy likeness: if thou beest a
      devil, take't as thou list.

      Trinculo
      O, forgive me my sins!

      Stephano
      He that dies pays all debts: I defy thee.
      --Mercy upon us!

      Caliban
      Art thou afeard?

      Stephano
      No, monster, not I.

      Caliban
      Be not afeard:the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight, and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears; and sometimes voices,
      That, if I then had wak'd after long sleep,
      Will make me sleep again:and then, in dreaming,
      The clouds methought would open and show riches
      Ready to drop upon me; that, when I wak'd
      I cried to dream again.