Re:

  • Gretchyn Lenger
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 1999
      Delia,

      I think the relation has everything to do with freedom of choice. Meaning
      this: No matter if you're more science-minded or coming from a spiritual
      perspective, I think it has been well established that the linear movement
      of time is an illusion. So why? Maybe because it gives us the ability to
      choose what to bring from our past into the present (or not) which
      helps us determine how we will act in the future. The majority of life
      crisises seem to be related to the inability to leave the past and to
      shake free of the patterning established within us in the earliest years.
      Perhaps this is why spiritualists urge us to live in the moment, to stay
      present. Making a choice based on where you are right now makes for a more
      effective future than does making a choice based on something that
      happened to you five years ago, for example. Not to say that past lessons
      are to be forgotten - ideally they become integrated into the total person
      you are today. The difference is being able to stand in the moment when
      chosing what the next moment will be.

      In the same vein, maybe the illusionary concept of a "future" is just a
      tool we can use - past and future operate as relative tools to alter
      ourselves in the present if we have been unhappy with something in the
      past and want to change the outcome in the future. What do you think?

      - Gretchyn