Connection, Freedom, Hard Work

  • trop_de_simones
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      I took another walk yesterday and it was the most wonderful of all. I
      remember how I loved country when a child. I told you, in Paris I
      lived in a mean way. My parents had been upper-middle class indeed,
      but when I was six, it was the first war; my father who was a lawyer
      went to war and lost his clients, the father of my mother had a shoe-
      factory, he was ruined, and in 1918, we were really poor, nobody
      knowing how to manage poverty which was the worst. Then, every
      summer, we spent two or three months at my father's father's house,
      in the country, a lovely little house with a big garden and big farms
      belonging to my grand-father around it. I loved these holidays, I
      spent the whole days alone in woods and meadows, walking by myself,
      lying in secret hidden places, reading books, eating unripe apples,
      dreaming, thinking, feeling happy, feeling life would be wonderful
      since the world was so beautiful. Sometimes, I romantically forgot
      dinner-time, looking at the moon above a quiet pool, or looking at a
      long, lazy sunset. Sunset and moon and wind, trees and water and sky
      will never be again what they were then; it was as important as God
      for the pious man, as love for the lover, as you for me now. But I do
      not forget, and when I find myself again lonely and quiet in a
      lonely, quiet country, it moves me deeply.

      Your own Simone
      letter to N. Algren
      Monday, 22 D├ęcembre 1947
    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
        A very nice thought. God is the appreciation of nature.

        Simone was an early nooist.

        I was trying to figure out what would be the religion on the Starship Enterprise. Surely after finding all these other beings on other planets and such, the only thing left is wonder of nature in general and humanity in particular.

[...]

        Merleau-ponty Philosophy