Re: Send in the clowns

  • trop_de_simones
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      Humor is an important part of life isn't it? Late night talk shows
      help us to laugh before we fall asleep, well that other activities,
      if we're so fortunate. However, this kind of comedy is becoming less
      sensitive and mean spirited. I enjoy the role playing comedians who
      make us question (scepticism?) the status quo, like Sasha Baron-
      Cohen. And forgive any redunancy, but how about the medieval
      jongleur, the trickster of high Japanese cinema, and the masque or
      farce? eduard is right on about politicians and humor: it seems they
      have to apologize for every joke they make. Oh, and Absurd theatre. I
      recall after the 9/11 attacks, it was the routine of humor that
      helped us to feel somewhat normal again.

      Simone

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > Perhaps Mark Twain could be added to the list. However, I have the
      feeling that he would be too dry for today's tastes. But, then what
      do I know??

      > As to politics and humour, I think it would be very dangerous for a
      politician to try to be humourous. I never really works out, since
      there is always someone who might be offended. I recall at least the
      incident [not his name or department] of a US federal secretary who
      got canned for trying to explain how many minorities and challenged
      people he had on his staff. It is usually known as "insensitivity".

      > eduard at home

      if
      > laughter is the best medicine how come we dont listen to
      ourselves? if
      > laughter or comedy is so important to social situations why is it
      often
      > met with such resistance?
      >
      > if comedy is in essense picking on the weakest of the pack is it
      not
      > aimed then at strenghtening the pack in an all inclusive way? is
      this not
      > a more constructive way than say ethnic cleansing (i know thats
      the
      > extreme)? speaking from expierence i have found that a cheeky
      smile and a
      > wink can get you out of trouble, perhaps this is just because i'm
      irish,
      > who knows? but then the question is, what is it about giving a
      cheeky
      > smile a wink and being irish that can reduce social conflict
      > considerably? it cant simply be as a result of my nationality so
      > therefore it falls upon the cheeky smile and a wink (just to
      note, a
      > cheeky smile and a wink can also work on me). there is something
      within
      > humour that opens us up and makes us more tolerant but it is not
      being
      > utilised by society or recognised for its abilities to cure, bond
      or
      > speak to the masses in a cohereant way. plus its damn
      entertaining. i
      > realise life cant be a circus but thats not what i'm getting at,
      i'm
      > talking about a balance and a recognition of the potential comedy
      has.

      > i'm well aware that my theory here is extremely idealistic but as
      i said
      > in my first post i havent constructed my theory properly as of
      yet.
      > nobody makes us cry like a clown makes us cry.
      >
      > dave

      Service.

      nothing!

      > Existentialism philosophy Philosophy book Existentialism
      > Merleau-ponty Philosophy

      > Service.

      ----

      > --

      nothing!

      of Service.

    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        Medieval jongleurs must have been something to see. Though, I suppose you needed to be up there at least at the knight level to get into the castle to see it. I would suspect that there would have been a lot of comedians amongst the serfs. Like the guy who pretends he slips on a cow paddy. But then a lot of comedy was visceral. Like throwing a tomato at the prisoner in the pillory ... great fun during the evening walk. ha ha ha ....

        And then there are the childrens' fun poems like "Ring around the Rosie" which describes dying from Bubonic Plague.

        eduard at home