Re: the Da of being

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "trop_de_simones"
      <iambiguously@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > There is a world of difference between being able to imagine---
      in
      > our minds---Santa Claus, God, the Tooth Fairy, mermaids, unicorns,
      > ghosts, angels, demons etc. and being able to actually produce
      them
      > sensibly, tangibly, explicitly, objectively....actually.
      Similarly,
      > there is a world of difference between being able to name
      particular
      > human interactions as rational or not rational, logical or not
      > logical, free or not free, just or not just, authentic or not
      > authentic and being able to know what these things are.
      > Their "reality" exists only insofar as we interpret [subjectively,
      > psychologically] the relationships between all the variables that
      > come together in the actual behaviors we observe...the particular
      > experiences we have. We cannot then transfigure these
      interpretations
      > into "the way things really are".>
      >
      > I don't think I've read a more quintessential description of open-
      > ended Existentialism.
      >
      > Simone

      Well, it's true that this is an academic-oriented list about
      existential philosophy and literature, and phenomenology. Your idea
      of "Existentialism", Simone, seems tailor-made for the schools and
      universities where there is fearfulness of openness, where there is
      censorship and that form of cold genteel fascism called 'political
      correctness', where imagination is discouraged if it comes into
      conflict with the interests of the corporations and other wielders
      of influence. For me, existentialism is still the art of living.
      I'm not convinced it ever was that for Sartre, or even for Camus. I
      am willing to be convinced by argument. You and I are so far apart
      at present that I'm unsure how to approach your question to me about
      choice. My quotation from Kierkegaard and accompanying comments in
      a way provide the beginning of an answer, but only in the form of
      hint and clue. I believe, with the poet David Gascoyne, 'it is only
      the interior existence that matters.' In that context do I contain
      my passion for the insights of Nietzsche, one of the easiest
      philosophers to mis-read in spectacular and callow fashion.

      Louise