Impact teaches

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      Ehab, it is seldom that a modern person is driven to blood lust in
      face on confrontation with others. Yet empires and governments
      remember. I was not born until 5 years after pearl harbour but I have
      been taught to remember. Those people attacked my parents and I have
      been warned of them. I think that warning has value, survival value.
      The Arabs are well on their way to engendering a negative societal
      memory in the minds of Americans. Perhaps we deserve the attack we
      underwent but that will not make some of us forget.
      I am sure if I met you I would enjoy your company as I do that of
      many mideastern patients and friends. Even so, my group and your group
      have undergone a schism. Chance and tides will modify the present and
      the wise note the process. Bill
    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
        why do you speak to Ehab, assuming he is sympathetic to terrorists?
        aren't you type-casting? all americans aren't the same, why should arabs?
        why do you hold him collectively liable when he might be a person who is
        trying to do more to change the world to something better than you are
        doing by assuming it can not be changed? he said he is secular, a
        nihilist, and he is on the existentialist list presumably to find some
        common ground, no?

        aija

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
          Aija, I don't find implicit in his message the assumption you
          attribute to Bill. To return to Mary's language about maturity, I
          think it is to take a thoughtful and mature view, simply to
          acknowledge that group awareness - tribal [Greek term, ethnic],
          national, regional, etc. - is a factor in human affairs, quite as
          significant as individual variation, especially if we venture into
          political discussions. Some Arabs are sympathetic to the terrorists
          who strive to wreak political change, just as some Irishmen are
          tolerant of paramilitaries in their communities, and implacably
          hostile to the paramilitaries of the other tribe (a very specific
          ethnic/national/religious mix, in that instance). We need to reason
          accurately for its own sake, but also in order to undermine the
          credibility of those who say no genuine change can occur through
          peaceful means. Louise

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs