Re: forgive my floundering

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo Malo" <maryjomalo@y...>
      wrote:
      > I don't believe you can be a human being and not bring harm to
      others.
      > Without going into definitions of the
      words 'responsible', 'conscious',
      > or 'harm'; please remember that if you pay taxes, eat, drive a
      car,
      > vote, and many consumer-citizen activities, there are harmful
      > consequences. You can't completely separate yourself from a system
      > which by its very existence 'victimizes' someone. You could also
      look
      > at the statement, which was kind of spontaneous poetry, as just
      that.
      > Mary
      >
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, mischke@p... wrote:
      > > "existentialism says it's okay to be both a
      > > victim and a victimizer."
      > >
      > > I don't believe that a responsible exitentialist should ever make
      > > conscious choices that will bring harm to others.
      > >
      > > Mischke

      so maybe these apparently opposed viewpoints could be synthesised:

      "existentialism allows that the human individual cannot avoid
      harming and being harmed, yet forbids the lazy assumption that one
      is not responsible for unintended harm."

      that i think would be the most rigorous ethical demand. very
      Kierkegaardian territory. no wonder most of the species cops out.
      the screaming really is enough to knock God unconscious. i believe
      that. death's something else though.

      Louise
      ... revelling in the voice of Howard Devoto right now ...