Roman lovers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      Furius and Aurelius, friends of Catullus,
      Whether he has a mind to go to India,
      Where the eastern ocean beats upon the shore
      Echoing far off,

      Or to the Hyrcanians and the soft Arabians,
      To the Scythians or the arrow-bearing Parthians,
      Or to those plains which the sevenfold Nile
      Dyes with its mud;

      Whether he will climb across the High Alps
      To view the memorials of great Caesar,
      The Gallic Rhine, or the ultimate recesses
      Of the barbarous Britons;

      Ready although you are to do all these things
      And indeed anything else that the fates direct,
      The service I ask is only that you take a message,
      Not a very nice one.

      Tell my girl to enjoy herself with her lechers,
      I hope she may manage three hundred at one time,
      Not loving any properly, but leaving all of them
      With ruptured arteries.

      Tell her not to expect my love any more,
      And that it is through her fault that it has fallen
      Like a flower at the edge of a meadow
      When the plough passes.

      C.H.Sisson,
      "In The Trojan Ditch: Collected Poems and Selected Translations"
      Carcanet Press 1974
      this from 'Part II: Selected Translations', Catullus XI