Re: ripostes

    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2005
      Mary,

      I think I'm beginning to understand why these dreadful things happen.
      Something to do with engagement [love] displaced from interpretation.
      Taking it out on those closest to oneself is familiar concept. Most
      human beings want to retain a sense of personal morality, with the
      result that comparisons are made, aloud or sotto voce [i'm better than
      him ...]. The adolescent who cannot deal with that spectacular
      contrast (dare i say this ... especially in your Land of the Crowded
      Flag) between stated communal aspirations and actual practice, may in
      his despair be unable to walk away from existence without taking
      others, he knows, with him. The cure is philosophy, its proper
      teaching, which includes music, I think. Learning how to walk away
      from - or be reconciled to - the contradictions within existence
      without departing organic bodily life itself, is the solution ... to
      what is often someone else's problem, projected (the young are so
      permeable). Hence existentialism as living science, in the sense of
      knowledge, an art divine.

      Even as a pedestrian, I'm wary of the lines, whatever colour, most
      especially the invisible ones.

      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo Malo" <maryjomalo@y...>