Re: Onboard

  • hbtripleg
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2005
      It was back in Fall 1978, when I took an Existentialism class at the
      University of Nevada Las Vegas. It was taught by a professor trained
      in phenomenology, a graduate of the University of Madrid, and a
      native Austrian. The class covered pretty much the whole gamut,
      however, the discussion of Heidegger really intrigued me.

      I had a hiatus, going through 1979 and 1980. One of those "gotta find
      myself" things, so, with a lot of time on my hands, I took on "Being
      and Time," on my own, and it was a challenge. I spent several months
      working my way through it. I have since been drawn back to that work,
      and others of Heidegger's, which I have since read, mostly the
      shorter essays and lectures.

      I spent 1981 at the University of Oregon, and was "simmered" in Kant,
      Descartes, Wittgenstein, and the history of modern philosophy. I
      never finished my undergraduate studies. I went off on my own
      tangents, both intellectually, and occupationally, for the next
      twenty years or so, and ended up right back here in Las Vegas, since,
      oh, 1991.

      I've done a great deal of my own independent study over these
      intervening years, having never lost my penchant for the challenging
      read. I ploughed through Jung, a bit of history, some hermetics, and
      a whole bunch of physics. Science was my first academic love, in
      life, but philosophy has been my true love ever since I first
      encountered it, during the summer of 1977, when I took my
      Introduction to Philosophy.

      Now, at 47, I'm going back to finish that baccalaureate. I'm starting
      this Fall, with Classical Greek and Symbolic Logic. I hope to
      complete my degree, working at it during the day, part time, while
      holding down a full time job, on graveyard shift, as a technical
      professional, in, oh, maybe four or five years. I am still a
      Sophomore, just a few credits shy of Junior, and being able to handle
      probably only about six credits per semester, it will be a plodding
      road ahead. But I don't mind. I feel like I am already there, at my
      goal, the place where I want to be.

      Already, having returned to my love (with no illusions of ever making
      it all the way to Doctoral studies -- but who knows?) I feel a sense
      of liberation and return. It is good to be back in that "frame of
      mind" of doing philosophy.

      Heidegger, in particular, profoundly interests me, and so does
      phenomenology, per se, in most all of its aspects, from the
      phenomenology of human existence, to purely logical aspects.
      Physics "captures" me too, and I tend to weave my readings in physics
      in and out of my readings in the philosophical areas. I am most
      interested in "nitty gritty" discussions of the issues, the problems,
      and the methods of phenomenology, and also detailed discussions on
      the texts that I am reading, with those who maybe have also read
      them, or are reading them, either on the list, or off of it, as is
      appropriate.

      I just finished revisiting Heidegger's "Time and Being," "The End of
      Philosophy," and "My Way to Phenomenology" a few days ago, and I'm
      deeply into Ayn Rand's "Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology"
      right now. I'm working on breadth, as well as depth, as far as my
      independent studies go, and I am returning to some, I feel I need to
      revisit, since it has been a number of years since I have been into
      them, such thinkers like Descartes, and Kant (whom I never stuidied
      as well as I should have), and I have set myself the goal, also, to
      read the collected works of both Plato and Aristotle over the next
      two years. I have them sitting on my shelf, complete, waiting for my
      return. I try to read everyday, anywhere from ten to one hundred
      pages, depending on the difficulty of the read in progress.

      Hb3g