Re: distillation

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      Monotheism argues that will pre-exists human awareness, and indeed
      that pre-existing will has caused human awareness. Science would say,
      only because it has no other evidence, that will arises from or is
      intrinsic to awareness. Choice or freedom is another matter. Consider
      that we may not be aware of all the questions we are answering or
      responding to. In an empirical sense we are not aware that we have
      caught a cold until we have a cold, but our white blood cells respond
      to the infection (for most of us) before we become intellectually
      aware of it.Freedom, choice,and motivation exist on our intrinsic
      philosophical battelfield.It may be that the size of such a field is
      relative to the degree of freedom.Nothing is simple. Concept
      differentiation and terminology are a natural burden of
      understanding.If we take the scientific existentialist view that we
      can only be aware of endings, will (creative design) seems arguable
      only from the perpective that it is a will that has not yet ended;
      since we cannot impart any meaning to it, this makes pre-existing will
      a concept not worth considering, or just fantasy: thus Sartre's
      consideration of his atheism as an inevitable fortunate accident of
      his existential view.If we take free will as the random though
      inevitable accident that it is, it is a resonable speculation to
      propose that it varies in degrees and is evolving on an individual
      basis throughout the species (Dennett's view). We are all different,
      yet similar.

      tc

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, essentialadam@a... wrote:
      > Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation,
      having or
      > lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made
      with
      > "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to
      respond to your
      > question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond,
      it's my
      > motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

    • alan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        There is FREEWILL and there is nothing we can do about it

        Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation, having
        or
        lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made with
        "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to respond to
        your
        question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond, it's my
        motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • essentialadam@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2005
          My point was that freewill is not a matter of choice or environmental
          circumstances. Freewill to me is determined in the motivations of a human being.
          Allthough I agree we are all similar yet different, what are the determining
          factors? Saying that freewill is a biological wiring of the brain has no value
          to me. Motivation determines choices, hence consequences, hence your essence.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2005
            What you fail to understand is that motivation itself is anchored in
            valencies ( bondings) which are set up early in one's life. <-------------
            get it?

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2005
              So essentialy, you're saying our bonds with every essence of our lives
              determine our motivations?