Re: [existlist] distillation

  • essentialadam@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation, having or
      lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made with
      "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to respond to your
      question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond, it's my
      motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        Monotheism argues that will pre-exists human awareness, and indeed
        that pre-existing will has caused human awareness. Science would say,
        only because it has no other evidence, that will arises from or is
        intrinsic to awareness. Choice or freedom is another matter. Consider
        that we may not be aware of all the questions we are answering or
        responding to. In an empirical sense we are not aware that we have
        caught a cold until we have a cold, but our white blood cells respond
        to the infection (for most of us) before we become intellectually
        aware of it.Freedom, choice,and motivation exist on our intrinsic
        philosophical battelfield.It may be that the size of such a field is
        relative to the degree of freedom.Nothing is simple. Concept
        differentiation and terminology are a natural burden of
        understanding.If we take the scientific existentialist view that we
        can only be aware of endings, will (creative design) seems arguable
        only from the perpective that it is a will that has not yet ended;
        since we cannot impart any meaning to it, this makes pre-existing will
        a concept not worth considering, or just fantasy: thus Sartre's
        consideration of his atheism as an inevitable fortunate accident of
        his existential view.If we take free will as the random though
        inevitable accident that it is, it is a resonable speculation to
        propose that it varies in degrees and is evolving on an individual
        basis throughout the species (Dennett's view). We are all different,
        yet similar.

        tc

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, essentialadam@a... wrote:
        > Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation,
        having or
        > lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made
        with
        > "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to
        respond to your
        > question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond,
        it's my
        > motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

      • alan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2005
          There is FREEWILL and there is nothing we can do about it

          Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation, having
          or
          lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made with
          "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to respond to
          your
          question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond, it's my
          motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • essentialadam@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2005
            My point was that freewill is not a matter of choice or environmental
            circumstances. Freewill to me is determined in the motivations of a human being.
            Allthough I agree we are all similar yet different, what are the determining
            factors? Saying that freewill is a biological wiring of the brain has no value
            to me. Motivation determines choices, hence consequences, hence your essence.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2005
              What you fail to understand is that motivation itself is anchored in
              valencies ( bondings) which are set up early in one's life. <-------------
              get it?

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2005
                So essentialy, you're saying our bonds with every essence of our lives
                determine our motivations?