Re: refuse to value the refuse

    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2005
      Alan: [quoting CSW]
      See when you say "I happen to think we have free will, so
      any notion that we are nothing but determined masses of neurons
      bothers me. There are too many environmental and internal factors to
      be determined precisely." <-- you are engaging in a tendentious
      argument, what you or I think or like has nothing to do with TRUTH OR
      FACT.

      This wasn't an argument, I think, it was the statement of a hunch,
      given the context. If someone said this at a dinner-party, one might
      say it is simply the statement of a preference. Since this is a
      mailing-list dedicated to existentialism and related literature, I see
      Chris's comments as one possible starting-point for an argument,
      which, as you say, must separate itself from personal likings in order
      to claim the reliability of truth or fact. Looking at the overnight
      posts, I'm not quite so optimistic that the scientific faction here
      can jostle along happily with those like Nolan and myself who value
      psychological and literary approaches. However, I intend to continue
      to try. Right now, though, I am struggling with the sheer effort of
      believing just how intelligent people manage so to value evasion and
      discourtesy whilst refusing to look at what they are valuing. For me,
      there is something of a 'new start' feel about this list at present.
      Another poetic illusion, perhaps, like so much of human thought. The
      integrity of the continuing attempt is what matters. Just a brief
      pennyworth for now.

      Louise