BigHeads of Third Planet

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 1:58 PM
      A small reminder.

      The individual defines everything.

      Individuals are concepts. Also creatures.

      Animal, animalis, neuter. a living being, an animal.

      A species is a concept.

      Imagination enables us to picture or otherwise sense, in more
      bodily, integrated, mode, what words present to vision, hearing, or
      touch [as with Braille]. So all words are equivalent as raw
      materials, yet there are different species of words -
      abstract/concrete; animate/inanimate; literal/metaphorical; etc.

      Good manners cost effort. Existential ethics, and all that.

      And no, I'm not correcting anyone. Rather, happily venting
      Dionysian disgust ... at evasion.

      Louise
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30 2:01 PM

        I honestly believe you cannot read. I have indicated none of the
        things you accuse me of. I am assuming you are selectively stupid.

        tc
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30 2:16 PM
          Trinidad,

          It's no big deal, I may give up attempting to reason with you on
          matters in which you do not value reason. Nonetheless, I do have
          confidence that any dispassionate readers would confirm that over an
          extended period you have evaded direct and relevant questions. That
          has maybe annoyed me in particular because I consider explanation is
          something one owes to others under certain circumstances, and I have
          done plenty of explaining myself, whilst under repeated verbal fire.
          I think I keep being conflated with American or British Christian
          fundamentalists, when my own sense of who Jesus Christ was tends to
          make it advisable not to attend a church, these days.
          I like philosophy and poetry, so I'll try to steer clear of you
          scientists, while you're fantasising about space travel, genetic
          manipulation, and the rest. Sure, I find some of what I hear
          chilling, but had better fight the good fight on my own ground.
          Nietzschean ground, turning away, and all that ...

          Louise

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Trinidad Cruz" <cruzprdb@w...>
          wrote:
          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@y...> wrote:
          >
          > I honestly believe you cannot read. I have indicated none of the
          > things you accuse me of. I am assuming you are selectively stupid.
          >
          > tc
        • Trinidad Cruz
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30 3:03 PM

            "Nonetheless, I do have confidence that any dispassionate readers
            would confirm that over an extended period you have evaded direct and
            relevant questions."

            Louise I have nothing against you, except statements like the above.
            This is simply a lie. I am absolutely sick of the Dale Carnegie school
            of argument here.Joining Knott's little wordgame bandwagon is
            unbecoming for a woman of what seems to be a reasonably adequate
            literary education. His arguments are mean spirited and without
            substance.If you go back and read my posts today to George, or Frank,
            or Bob, you will discover that I answer questions. Perhaps you just
            have a genuine distaste for the answers I give.I am at least
            forthcoming, something Knott cannot remotely muster. Finally many
            questions require answers over time.I don't have that much.You're
            stuck with what you get.If you want to know anything personal about me
            you have to earn my trust and correspond with me off list.

            Before I joined this list I believe you endured the foray of a theatre
            troup of venue crashers.I'm sure you understand the dynamic I am
            speaking of. I have absolutely no interest in that kind of role
            playing game.I have a hard enough time enduring my role as a US
            citizen, and a human being, something which these days leaves
            intelligent people conflicted.My thinking is easy to assimilate until
            you or Knotthead confuse the issue. I am not at any appreciable
            distance from Gilbert Ryle or Daniel Dennett on any point of
            substance.There is no mystery to my thinking.If you disagree with them
            chances are resonably high you will disagree with me.We can
            communicate.I have several friends who are poets.You have a pattern of
            rejudging me uselessly over issues on which you already know my point
            of view. My view will not differ substantially from Dennett nor change
            much in the future. Read his books and then comment.

            You have to know it's an answer, to know it's an answer
            tc
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30 3:43 PM
              [Louise]
              Nonetheless, I do have confidence that any dispassionate readers
              would confirm that over an extended period you have evaded direct and
              relevant questions.

              [Trinidad]
              Louise I have nothing against you, except statements like the above.
              This is simply a lie. I am absolutely sick of the Dale Carnegie
              school of argument here.Joining Knott's little wordgame bandwagon is
              unbecoming for a woman of what seems to be a reasonably adequate
              literary education. His arguments are mean spirited and without
              substance.

              Louise
              Just as I have nothing against you except your discourtesies. Never
              heard of Dale Carnegie, I'm afraid. We have a difference of opinion
              about Knott's contributions - I don't see them as wordgames. So
              we'll have to agree to disagree about the quality of his arguments.
              Gracious of you to acknowledge my reasonably adequate literary
              education, so soon after applying the 'preposterous' label.

              [Trinidad]
              If you go back and read my posts today to George, or Frank,
              or Bob, you will discover that I answer questions. Perhaps you just
              have a genuine distaste for the answers I give.I am at least
              forthcoming, something Knott cannot remotely muster. Finally many
              questions require answers over time.I don't have that much.You're
              stuck with what you get.If you want to know anything personal about
              me you have to earn my trust and correspond with me off list.

              Louise
              No, I didn't mean to imply that you never answer questions. I was
              only referring to your refusal to go to any trouble in that regard
              with myself and Knott. I find Knott very forthcoming: I guess it
              depends on what you want to forthcome. I have no wish to know
              anything personal about you, would simply prefer you weren't
              personal with me. Let's assume all that is in the past. 'All that'
              referring to ad hominem insults. Perhaps that's a stupid
              assumption, given Bill's advising that trust isn't on offer in the
              context of this dispute.

              [Trinidad]
              Before I joined this list I believe you endured the foray of a
              theatre troup of venue crashers.I'm sure you understand the dynamic
              I am speaking of. I have absolutely no interest in that kind of role
              playing game.

              Louise
              Can't say I do understand, actually. Bill and Mary Jo were quite a
              challenge, as I remember :-).

              [Trinidad]
              I have a hard enough time enduring my role as a US citizen, and a
              human being, something which these days leaves intelligent people
              conflicted.My thinking is easy to assimilate until you or Knotthead
              confuse the issue. I am not at any appreciable distance from Gilbert
              Ryle or Daniel Dennett on any point of substance.There is no mystery
              to my thinking.If you disagree with them chances are resonably high
              you will disagree with me.

              Louise
              Ok. I'm just not very interested, in this scientific appropriation
              of philosophy. Am more language-oriented.

              [Trinidad]
              We can communicate.I have several friends who are poets.You have a
              pattern of rejudging me uselessly over issues on which you already
              know my point of view. My view will not differ substantially from
              Dennett nor change much in the future. Read his books and then
              comment.

              Louise
              I doubt that we can communicate, until 'Knotthead' becomes a term of
              endearment, or something ... You don't understand the way I think,
              and it's very strange to me, the way you always seem to think you
              know what's wrong. My irony, humour, dialectic, probably 'confuse
              the issue' for you. Nothing is ever wrong for me, until I sustain
              insult. As I say, keeping more carefully within my own domains of
              interest will be the sensible course.

              [Trinidad]
              You have to know it's an answer, to know it's an answer

              Louise
              There's no question to that ...
            • Knott
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30 7:05 PM
                > you will discover that I answer questions.

                Oh, so we will discover when you start answering them...we guess. And when will that
                be? That was a question. You'll not answer it.

                > I am at least
                > forthcoming, something Knott cannot remotely muster.

                You are a bullshitter of the nth degree. you've gotten people to swallow lots of crap in
                the past, and you are doing a job here of getting several to swallow their own pizzle.
                it is a smoke screen that doesn't convert for those who can see as well in the dark.

                > Finally many
                > questions require answers over time.

                And some, like "How do you know?" are direct, and should be simple. My perspective
                is that this question is not simple for people like me...but you are not like me. You
                know. How do you know? That is a question and a dare...answer it.

                > If you want to know anything personal about me
                > you have to earn my trust and correspond with me off list.

                Or perhaps we should just look it up, or make it up, like you do?

                > I have a hard enough time enduring my role as a US
                > citizen, and a human being, something which these days leaves
                > intelligent people conflicted.

                Then move somewhere else. We need no more mouths to feed on welfare programs.
                We don't need violent propigators, self-important supermen, or angst-driven hate
                speakers. Go find the country that welcomes that type and you can fit right in.

                > My thinking is easy to assimilate until
                > you or Knotthead confuse the issue.

                you continually externalize the blame as if it could never be you that is at fault. it is
                someone else's poor job of reading -- not your writing. it is someone else's religion
                -- not your belief. At least when I read lewis carroll, I know it was intended to be
                nonsense. you make lesssense than any nonsense I read.

                > You have to know it's an answer, to know it's an answer

                then it could be stated like an answer. perhaps you read minds (or are omnicient) but
                I believe most of us will be willing to admit we have neither gift.

                how on earth (or elsewhere) do you know? How do you know anything? that's a
                question. What's the answer? Or was I right when i answered it for you before? I was
                betting you'd come up wit something better than that.

                Planet Fathead
              • Knott
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30 7:13 PM
                  > We have a difference of opinion
                  > about Knott's contributions - I don't see them as wordgames.

                  Indeed you know as well as I that sometimes they are, and that there is no shame in
                  that. At least i don't pretend that I can predict the result. Don't fall for the Mr. Dad
                  game...it is more dangerous than the one I play for fun. I think he is not playing for
                  fun--but that is my useless perspective. Like the poor fellow that everyone walks
                  clear of on the street...it is perhaps time to make the extra steps around.

                  Longlegs Aboutit
                • Bob Keyes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30 8:44 PM
                    Comments...
                    > about Knott's contributions - I don't see them as wordgames.

                    Indeed you know as well as I that sometimes they are, and that there is no
                    shame in
                    that.

                    [Bob Keyes] I am not involved in this dispute of course, but I dont Play
                    word games, and I dont care for those that do. I dont like wasting time
                    talking with people to get nothing out of it, I am to selfish.

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                        > [Bob Keyes] I am not involved in this dispute of course, but I dont Play
                        > word games, and I dont care for those that do. I dont like wasting time
                        > talking with people to get nothing out of it, I am to selfish.

                        Your selfishness is apparent. You waste time with your nonsensical comments that
                        desire only to rip people. You don't, perhaps play word games (or are incapable) but
                        you say nothing that is constructive. I could care who you care for...your opinion is
                        worthless. Go back to your corner, ye who hallucinates smell of blood.

                        Uncharming Chortler
                      • Knott
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                          > [Bob Keyes] Excellent Post and all True... (as I see it of course- just
                          > one observer of many here)...

                          What the F do you know, johnny come lately? The truth was not spoken by Dad but
                          Louise;

                          louise: over an extended period you have evaded direct and relevant questions.

                          Dad: This is simply a lie.

                          if you were able to read, Keyes, you'd see the hundred or so questions Mr. dad fears.

                          Sickov Kibbitzer