distillation

  • Siobhan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
      I suppose that the analogy of distillation that applies to philosophy
      might be that of reductionism. Some is good and some is bad. Some
      things are determined and others involve free will. Distillation can
      lead to purity but that purity could be a quintessential toxicity or as
      in the case of alcohol, if left open could evaporate and disappear
      altogether. Philosophically, scientifically and theoretically; if you
      want something to be distilled or deconstructed and not to evaporate,
      expose it and see whether its effects work, are replicative and are
      long lasting. Language and analogies may fail to convince, but toxins
      are real, just like death. Siobhan
    • essentialadam@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation, having or
        lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made with
        "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to respond to your
        question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond, it's my
        motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

      • Trinidad Cruz
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2005
          Monotheism argues that will pre-exists human awareness, and indeed
          that pre-existing will has caused human awareness. Science would say,
          only because it has no other evidence, that will arises from or is
          intrinsic to awareness. Choice or freedom is another matter. Consider
          that we may not be aware of all the questions we are answering or
          responding to. In an empirical sense we are not aware that we have
          caught a cold until we have a cold, but our white blood cells respond
          to the infection (for most of us) before we become intellectually
          aware of it.Freedom, choice,and motivation exist on our intrinsic
          philosophical battelfield.It may be that the size of such a field is
          relative to the degree of freedom.Nothing is simple. Concept
          differentiation and terminology are a natural burden of
          understanding.If we take the scientific existentialist view that we
          can only be aware of endings, will (creative design) seems arguable
          only from the perpective that it is a will that has not yet ended;
          since we cannot impart any meaning to it, this makes pre-existing will
          a concept not worth considering, or just fantasy: thus Sartre's
          consideration of his atheism as an inevitable fortunate accident of
          his existential view.If we take free will as the random though
          inevitable accident that it is, it is a resonable speculation to
          propose that it varies in degrees and is evolving on an individual
          basis throughout the species (Dennett's view). We are all different,
          yet similar.

          tc

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, essentialadam@a... wrote:
          > Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation,
          having or
          > lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made
          with
          > "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to
          respond to your
          > question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond,
          it's my
          > motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

        • alan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2005
            There is FREEWILL and there is nothing we can do about it

            Freewill is not a choice. I believe freewill is due to motivation, having
            or
            lack there of. This theory applied, a persons choices could be made with
            "freewill" with no awareness or self coniousness. If I chose to respond to
            your
            question, it's not because my frewill determines I have to respond, it's my
            motivation to share my thoughts and idea.

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • essentialadam@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2005
              My point was that freewill is not a matter of choice or environmental
              circumstances. Freewill to me is determined in the motivations of a human being.
              Allthough I agree we are all similar yet different, what are the determining
              factors? Saying that freewill is a biological wiring of the brain has no value
              to me. Motivation determines choices, hence consequences, hence your essence.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2005
                What you fail to understand is that motivation itself is anchored in
                valencies ( bondings) which are set up early in one's life. <-------------
                get it?

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2005
                  So essentialy, you're saying our bonds with every essence of our lives
                  determine our motivations?