Interest in the integral

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 9:19 AM
      Knott has an area he calls interest. I do not define what he means
      by that, how he defines it ,or if he questions where it comes from.
      For myself it relates to how I fill my time. Through brutal trial
      and error I have been forced to the conclusion that many of the
      persuits in my life were less than beneficial to my health and well
      being. I have lived as a dabbler because devotion so many times led
      me to bad times. Belief is a danger to me because it sets the will
      and all but insures over indulgance in activity. Work, religion,
      money making, boose and fanatical athleticism have all griped me
      with a belief in their necessity. Then they have brought me down.
      So I think of bookdoc`s interest as a golden mean goal. I have no
      idea if he has considered it in such a light yet I expand the
      concept to exclude any belief in any organisation or creed. For a
      less fanatical and willful fellow belonging may be less dangerous.
      Yet for me belief and membership leads to eventual confrontation
      with authority.
      So,for me, the integral does not extend to the whole but only to
      examined and selected parts. I might hum a gregorian chant but not
      integrate its theological content . I might hear the irrational
      ramblings of clerics but not engage them in debate. I should not
      even equate the worth of a popes life with that of a recent Medal of
      Honor winner. It seems unnatural to keep ones interests benign even
      unfocused but the contrary has proved negative. It is not a winners
      perspective but the approach of a survivor. The medal of Honor
      winner gave all and was poured out at thirty while the pope lived
      long in his sullen falsehoods and now is as dead as all others.
      Death brings down all beliefs as interest in such faiths brings the
      believer down. So the persuits which are necessary for sustained
      life should not be directly looked at ,lest their colors mesmerise
      and blind. The integral need be diluted and held apart as a toxin .
      Direct exposure leads to ingestion and enrollment and toxcitity.
      Such an exzelot life fears the believer and his belief as he would
      fear the slaughtered warrior and the blessed pope. They have gone
      all the way in their exposure and have lept into the fire of their
      faith. Why? Bill
    • Knott
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 11:12 AM
        > Knott has an area he calls interest. I do not define what he means
        > by that, how he defines it ,or if he questions where it comes from.

        Fine way to put that.

        > So I think of bookdoc`s interest as a golden mean goal.

        If it can be considered as both that thing that drives a desire and
        realization of consequence, I think that is it. It is not interesting
        to kill someone else to take their wallet just because it is a gain. It
        is not interesting as a religious person to prostheyletize ideas that I
        have no founded proof for no matter how deeply I have convinced myself.
        It is not interesting to trounce those with religious beliefs because
        history before them has proof that the sect has produced evil, as it
        does not reflect on the individual. It is perhaps interesting to have a
        beer, so long as when I ride the rollercoaster it doesn't cause my to
        fall off and find my decapitated body landing on a small child. Great
        risk is not necessarily interesting. However, I am not interested in
        disuse, brooding fears, and stasis. Interest is motivation. It is
        perhaps explored as ID and EGO/Super ego to some extent.

        Ultimately I must speak to the consequence of my own interest...if I am
        visionary enough to weigh risk and benefit correctly, for myself but
        for others as well (even if I think I cannot prove they exist, I should
        respect what I cannot disprove).

        I have not been able to define much beyond interest...That's driven
        much of my interest in those who are so sure, and who seem about to
        solidify their belief/philosophy. I have an incourragable curiousity
        (perhaps also an interest).

        Tater Totter Nott