unreadability and legible rubbings

  • Siobhan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2005
      For the past 6 months or so I've had the opportunity to correspond with
      an interesting "street artist" David Baptiste-Chirot. He's a collage
      artist and poet. You may not have a taste for his "rubBEings", but he's
      certainly authentic. His Unreadability piece was inspired by his visit
      to the "On the Road" exhibit. When he wrote me of his experience that
      day he mentioned that Kerouac is a hero to even unread Canucks where in
      many communities in Canada they were considered to be white ni**ers.
      The interview and the essay might rub some people the wrong way. The
      street life isn't admired by most, but many artists choose poverty for
      their particular vanity. He's an existentialist who advocates community
      which is more akin to Camus and Sartre. Of course that's not the
      direction for many of us.

      <http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/thepixelplus/nhdoublewide2.html>

      <http://www.pd.org/topos/perforations/perf26/chirot.html>

      Siobhan