Spammers

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Louise, I am beginning to think we have a concerted campaign to
      interrupt, derail, and obstruct this site. It all began with the
      time of the infamous mark and continues today with a never ending
      parade of bible pounders, spammers, and posters of limited or no
      value.Other sites and operations on the net seem relatively clean
      and functional but this site is always encumbered by problems which
      always spring from short term members who seem to have angendae
      quite separate from existentialism.
      Why would one come on board speaking pidgeon english and then
      start quoting complex and obscure sources?
      I think you are often erager to correspond with new posters with
      the faith they are in good faith. I like to read them for a good
      deal of time and then I may attack their logic or sources directly.
      The terrible quality of new members posts, their irritatingly
      nonconsistant use of language and their cirtuatous return to
      religion brings me to believe we deal with a cabal of straw persons.
      Were the characters interestingly drawn or their thought processes
      clear or reasonable I would not care but these dumbkofts write
      without talent or inspiration.
      Our histories are matters of long record and should they care, any
      newbie can glean our overall view of philosophy. I think newbies
      should give us some synopsis of their philosophical stance before we
      accept and respond to off the street conversations from them. I will
      no longer respond to mangled english, bible quotes,and other long
      lifts of generally extraneous materials.
      If they can`t write they do not belong here, If they can`t be still
      when they know nothing of existentialism, they do not belong here.
      I would rather post to a pole than absorb a fool. Bill
    • gina goia
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        "Philosophy appears to some people as a homogenous milieu:there
        thoughts are born and die,there systems are built and there,in
        turn,they collapse.Others take Philosophy for a specific attitude
        which we can freely adopt at will.Still,others see it as a
        determined segment of culture.In our view Philosophy does not
        exist."(Sartre,Search for a Method,1960). ---
        HUIS CLOS(No Exit),Sartre's act play:there are only four
        characters:the Valet,Garcin,Estelle,Inez,and the entire play takes
        place in a drawing room,Second Empire style,with a massive bronze
        ornament on the mantelpiece.However the piece contains essentials
        germs of existentialist thoughts such as "hell is other people",no
        comments!...as you read the play,put yourself in that drawing room
        with two people you "hate"most:"straw person"
        and "dumbkoft"...enjoy!...(there will be:a traitor,a lesbian,a
        nymphomaniac,you,"straw person" and "dumbkoft"!)no
        comments!...In "Being and Nothingness" Sartre argued that an
        individual must detach oneself from things to give them
        meaning.Also "man is not the sum of what he has but the totality of
        what he does not yet have,of what he might have
        (Sartre,"Situation",1947)...A general point of view,and
        a "Sartre,s"piece of work:"Nobody is better qualified than the
        commercial traveller over there to sell Swan toothpaste.Nobody is
        better qualified than that interesting young man to fumble about
        under his neighbour,s skirts.And I am among them and if they look at
        me they must think that nobody is better qualified than I do to what
        I do.But I know,I don't look very important,but I know that I exists
        and that they exists.And if I knew the art of convincing people ,I
        should explain to him what existence is.The thought of the look
        which would come on to his face if I did makes me burst out laughing.
        (LA NAUSEE,1938,Sartre,biensure!)-no comments! In