Re: thesis

    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
      I don't have any info to hand, and don't want to discuss purely
      political questions. This would be a good place to start from,
      though, for anyone interested to research, on and between the lines.

      http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v19/v19n6p33_reed.html

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, carneymh <carneymh@y...> wrote:
      > I'm not familiar with the freedom of speech in England in the
      1920's. Care to elaborate or contrast that era w/ ours? I'm very
      interested to hear it.

      > louise <hecubatoher@y...> wrote:
      > Michael,
      > You are so delightfully earnest. I think it's relative. The
      degree
      > of freedom of speech in, say, 1920s England, is something I would
      > prefer to the contemporary emphases. So far as I know.
      > Louise
      >
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, carneymh <carneymh@y...> wrote:
      > > Do you really think there is such a thing as "free speech?" Or
      > that it has ever existed such that it can ever be "restored"?
      > >
      > > louise <hecubatoher@y...> wrote:
      > > Ethics and morality will coincide once freedom of speech is
      > restored.
      > >
      > > English Pericles
      > > ... against sentient cruelties ...

      > nothing!
      > >
      > > Home Page: http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Service.

      nothing!

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

    • gina goia
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- carneymh <carneymh@...> wrote:

        > Do you really think there is such a thing as "free
        > speech?" Or that it has ever existed such that it
        > can ever be "restored"?
        > Do you believe in yourself,I'm sure you do!Of course
        "free speech"do exist or if you think it das not,then
        where ar you?
        > louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
        > Ethics and morality will coincide once freedom of
        > speech is restored.
        >
        > English Pericles
        > ... against sentient cruelties ...
        >

        > Please support the Existential Primer... dedicated
        > to explaining nothing!

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        > --------------------~-->
        > Has someone you know been affected by illness or
        > disease?
        > Network for Good is THE place to support health
        > awareness efforts!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/ACsqlB/TM

      • gina goia
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
          -Probably no other provision of the Constitution has given rise to
          so many different views with respect to its underliyng philosophical
          foundations,and hence proper interpretive framework,as has the
          guarantee of freedom of expression,the free speech: --
          (1) assuring individuals self-fulfillment
          (2)promoting discovery of truth
          (3)providing for participation in decisionmaking by all members of
          society
          (4)promoting social stability through discussion and compromise of
          differences (F.Schauer,Free Speech:A Philosophical Inquiry(1982)
          The free speech has developed in the situation of
          frustration,injustice,abuse or discrimination.The Berkeley Free
          Speech Movement was one of the first of the 1960's university
          student protest that challenged authority and criticized the way
          things were...
          In existentialism a main concept is:"to exist is to be
          free..." "Don't ask what has been or what is usual,or what is
          expected of you,don't be determined by your past or by your habits
          or by the people surrounding you,but realize that this very moment
          is a new platform to jump into any possible direction like a
          flea...One student of Heidegger's got sarcastic characterizing a
          Heidegger lecture of the twenties by words"We are wildly determined-
          if only we knew determined what to do!"...Do you? gina

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
            For the existentialist, reading is always contemporary. It is
            necessarily in the present we respond, existing as the form we are,
            temporal flesh. Often the eighteeth, nineteenth century writers,
            revive me from discouragement, I love the purity of spirit, even in
            context of apparent aesthetic cynicism. The following extract is
            taken from Soren Kierkegaard's "Either/Or - A Fragment of Life",
            published by Victor Eremita (one of SK's pseudonymous personae).

            ~ Vainly I strive against it. My foot slips. My life is still a
            poet's existence. What could be more unhappy? I am predestined;
            fate laughs at me when it suddenly shows me how everything I do to
            resist, becomes a moment in such an existence. I can describe hope
            so vividly that every hoping individual will acknowledge my
            description; and yet it is a deception, for while I picture hope, I
            think of memory.

            There is still another proof for the existence of God, one which has
            hitherto been overlooked. It is propounded by a servant in
            Aristophanes' *The Knights*:

            Demosthenes:
            Shrines? shrines? Why surely you don't believe in the gods?
            Nicias:
            I do.
            Demosthenes:
            But what's your argument? Where's your proof?
            Nicias:
            Because I feel they persecute me and hate me in spite of everything
            I try to please 'em.
            Demosthenes:
            Well, well. That's true; you're right about that. ~

            From the section titled, 'Diapsalmata' [textual note explains that
            this is a Greek word which means 'interlude', used in the Greek
            translation of the Psalms of David, about the musical interludes
            introduced between the different sections of the text, at the
            performance in the synagogue.]
            Translation by David F. Swenson and Lillian Marvin Swenson,
            Princeton U.P. 1949.

            --------------

            posted by Louise
          • two_owl_night
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
              To measure, consider, and weigh the meaning of the words of the
              Hebrew text.

              What does it mean when ancient ethnic hatreds are still contemporary.
              Where the hope? Where the encouragement? Where the sanity? Can we
              trust our leaders to use their intelligence and exercise the will to
              survive? Or will they succumb to the insanity of believers? When the
              chips are down and the stakes high, will they gamble on their gods to
              save them, using our lives as bluff? Are they forcing "his" hand? Is
              this just one big suicidal apocalyptic hissy fit?

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                If you are alluding to the present tragedy in the Middle East, it appears to
                me, at least, that Bush and Company are in some manner in complicity with the
                Israeli action. If that is so, then there is little hope that the conflict can
                be mediated. Bush has come out AGAINST a ceasefire, for example. With so many
                Christian loonies in that administration, one can only shudder. What "end
                game" do they have in mind? One man's "rapture" is another man's ... well, you
                get the idea.

                Yikes.
                WS

                In a message dated 7/16/06 6:40:33 AM, two_owl_night@... writes:

                > To measure, consider, and weigh the meaning of the words of the
                > Hebrew text.
                >
                > What does it mean when ancient ethnic hatreds are still contemporary.
                > Where the hope? Where the encouragement? Where the sanity? Can we
                > trust our leaders to use their intelligence and exercise the will to
                > survive? Or will they succumb to the insanity of believers? When the
                > chips are down and the stakes high, will they gamble on their gods to
                > save them, using our lives as bluff? Are they forcing "his" hand? Is
                > this just one big suicidal apocalyptic hissy fit?
                >
                > Mary

              • two_owl_night
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                  Indeed. Some deluded believer-leaders are trying to fulfill
                  prophesies, all of them taken out of cultural context across
                  millenia. Those prophesies were epic poems of events already taken
                  place. They were the same ugly and beautiful hopes then as they are
                  today. It would seem that the human species can destroy its own
                  dreams. Then again, if your dream is to destroy the human
                  species . . .

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                    Politicians are pragmatists. They serve the delusions of the
                    people. It is hardly matter of Bush & Co. We are witnessing the
                    culmination of a struggle more than two centuries old. Respect for
                    ancient faiths, regardless whether one takes seriously their claims,
                    when translated into historic or philosophic statement, represents
                    our best hope for progress. A loonie is one more religious fiction,
                    crafted, as I have attempted to explain here before, by adherents to
                    the prevailing Western cult - paternalistic humanism.

                    Louise
                    ... ever distrustful of political incursion

                    --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night"

                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                      I have no respect for "ancient faiths", nor for the quietism of those who
                      eschew politics in behalf of "ancient faiths" -- or any new faiths, for that
                      matter. It is easy to call any criticism that you do not care for "paternalistic"
                      without any further ado, as if that is supposed to marshal some communal
                      peeve, but it is the height of insincerity to accuse secular humanism, which has
                      fought against the paternalistic and reactionary abuses of power and influence
                      by 'religion' from its inception, of anything like paternalism. Modern feminism
                      (at least in Europe) comes directly out of that intellectual ferment.

                      The case can be made, in fact that secular humanism (and its scion,
                      existentialism, to a considerable extent) were born precisely as a defense against the
                      religious and metaphysical underpinnings of reactionary politics, which is why
                      our typical bible thumper here in the U.S. is still so shrill about its
                      influence.

                      Wil

                    • andy_rix13@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                        I had never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine eschatology being applicable!

                        Andy

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                          Wil,

                          You are indeed an impostor, a newbie who presumes to judge my
                          criticism 'easy', when it is based on hard intellectual fighting at
                          this list for two and a half years, an effort based on two and a
                          half decades of strenuous living, following the atheistic and, more
                          recently, Christian, existentialist paths. My great regret is that
                          the fatigue I am feeling currently prevents me from putting my case
                          to you with any promptness. However, if you were interested,
                          there's plenty of meat in the archives.

                          Louise

                        • eupraxis@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                            Well, I hope Christ appreciates your hard work.

                            Wil

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                              What a superb example of patronising humanism :-).

                              Jesus Christ is merciful, amused perhaps by your incomprehension.

                            • eupraxis@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                                What do we make of Sartre's statement that follows (from Existentialism Is a
                                Humanism)? He seems to strongly suggest that all of our acts are
                                socio-politically connected with the totality of humankind. Wil

                                "Atheistic existentialism, which I represent, ... states that if God does not
                                exist, there is at least one being in whom existence precedes essence, a
                                being who exists before he can be defined by any concept, and that this being is
                                man, or, as Heidegger says, human reality. What is meant here by saying that
                                existence precedes essence? It means that, first of all, man exists, turns up,
                                appears on the scene, and, only afterwards, defines himself If man, as the
                                existentialist conceives him, is indefinable, it is because at first he is
                                nothing. Only afterward will he be something, and he himself will have made what he
                                will be. Thus, there is no human nature, since there is no God to conceive it.
                                Not only is man what he conceives himself to be, but he is also only what he
                                wills himself to be after this thrust toward existence.

                                "Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself. ...Thus, existentialism's
                                first move is to make every man aware of what he is and to make the full
                                responsibility of his existence rest on him. And when we say that a man is
                                responsible for himself, we do not only mean that he is responsible for his own
                                individuality, but that he is responsible for all men.

                                "...When we say that man chooses his own self, we mean that every one of us
                                does likewise; but we also mean by that that in making this choice he also
                                chooses all men. In fact, in creating the man that we want to be, there is not a
                                single one of our acts which does not at the same time create an image of man
                                as we think he ought to be. To choose to be this or that is to affirm at the
                                same time the value of what we choose, because we can never choose evil. We
                                always choose the good, and nothing can be good for us without being good for all.

                                "... Thus, our responsibility is much greater than we might have supposed,
                                because it involves all mankind, if I am a workingman and choose to join a
                                Christian trade-union rather than be a communist, and if by being a member I want
                                to show that the best thing for man is resignation, that the kingdom of man is
                                not of this world, I am not only involving my own case-I want to be resigned
                                for everyone. As a result, my action has involved all humanity. ... Therefore,
                                I am responsible for myself and for everyone else. I am creating a certain
                                image of man of my own choosing. In choosing myself, I choose man."

                                In a message dated 7/16/06 5:03:37 PM, hecubatoher@... writes:

                                > What a superb example of patronising humanism :-).
                                >
                                > Jesus Christ is merciful, amused perhaps by your incomprehension.
                                >
                                > --- In existlist@yahoogrouexistl, eupraxis@... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Well, I hope Christ appreciates your hard work.
                                > >
                                > > Wil
                                > >
                                > > In a message dated 7/16/06 2:38:01 PM, hecubatoher@ In a messa
                                > >

                                > > > Wil,
                                > > >
                                > > > You are indeed an impostor, a newbie who presumes to judge my
                                > > > criticism 'easy', when it is based on hard intellectual fighting
                                > at
                                > > > this list for two and a half years, an effort based on two and a
                                > > > half decades of strenuous living, following the atheistic and,
                                > more
                                > > > recently, Christian, existentialist paths. My great regret is
                                > that
                                > > > the fatigue I am feeling currently prevents me from putting my
                                > case
                                > > > to you with any promptness. However, if you were interested,
                                > > > there's plenty of meat in the archives.
                                > > >
                                > > > Louise

                              • two_owl_night
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                  Wil,

                                  This is probably the most fundamental issue for existentialism. I
                                  think Sartre diluted Nietzsche's individualism a bit when he asserts
                                  that when we choose for ourselves we must choose according to how we
                                  want others to choose, almost a restatement of the "golden rule."
                                  Sartre does seems to agree with Nietzsche and Heidegger that nothing
                                  is responsible for our existence, that we are thrown into being.

                                  "We others, who desire to restore innocence to becoming, would like
                                  to be the missionaries of a cleaner idea: that no one has given man
                                  his qualities, neither God, nor society, nor his parents and
                                  ancestors, nor he himself--that no one is to blame for him. There is
                                  no being that could be held responsible for the fact that anyone
                                  exists at all, that anyone is thus and thus, that anyone was born in
                                  certain circumstances, in a certain environment.--It is a tremendous
                                  restorative that such a being is lacking." Will to Power-765

                                  In this age of the blame-game, both within and outside of psych
                                  therapy, hasn't science offered a better explanation, that we are
                                  subject to genetic and environmental forces? There are some people
                                  who really want and/or need medication to function in. Of course, as
                                  much as we are able, we can still strive to become the individual we
                                  will. Scientific explanations somewhat clarify the existence and
                                  essence facets, but they are not complete solutions. They still
                                  remain somewhat abstract. How these facts are applied still remains a
                                  matter for the individual. Nietzsche's statement is still true, no
                                  one thing is responsible for our being. You might say we are the
                                  ongoing result of a process over which we try to assert some control.
                                  If that's at all possible, we can only be responsible for ourselves.
                                  And similar to his idea that it's not alway in our best interest to
                                  be violent with others, Nietzsche thinks acting in our own best
                                  interest encourages others to break from the herd, thereby diluting
                                  the power of the state in our lives. Religious governments are the
                                  worst oppressors because they take NO responsibility. That's just
                                  something they use to control the individual. If they make mistakes,
                                  well hell, we're all just going to a better place, right?

> [...]
                                  > Christian trade-union rather than be a communist, and if by being a
                                  member I want
                                  > to show that the best thing for man is resignation, that the
                                  kingdom of man is
                                  > not of this world, I am not only involving my own case-I want to be
                                  resigned
                                  > for everyone. As a result, my action has involved all humanity. ...
                                  Therefore,
                                  > I am responsible for myself and for everyone else. I am creating a
                                  certain
                                  > image of man of my own choosing. In choosing myself, I choose man."
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 7/16/06 5:03:37 PM, hecubatoher@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > What a superb example of patronising humanism :-).
                                  > >
                                  > > Jesus Christ is merciful, amused perhaps by your incomprehension.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In existlist@yahoogrouexistl, eupraxis@ wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Well, I hope Christ appreciates your hard work.

                                • Exist List Moderator
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                    On Jul 16, 2006, at 13:40, eupraxis@... wrote:

                                    > I have no respect for "ancient faiths", nor for the quietism of those
                                    > who
                                    > eschew politics in behalf of "ancient faiths" -- or any new faiths,
                                    > for that
                                    > matter.

                                    While I adhere to no faith, I also recognize that the numbers of
                                    believers in Islam far exceeds the number necessary to dictate
                                    political realities. As with Christianity only a millennium in the
                                    past, Islam and its sects have numbers on its side.

                                    Also, because Islam has no single leader or group of leaders, no "Pope"
                                    to unite it, we have hundreds, if not thousands, of Imams with whom to
                                    deal. Each mosque, within each sect, even has its own unique beliefs.
                                    Sunni and Shiite are only the tip of the iceberg, since each of those
                                    two major groups has sub-sects and splinter groups.

                                    A question was posed to me, and I think it illustrates a problem with a
                                    shallow reading of philosophy: Aren't the Islamic "radicals" being true
                                    to their faith, acting in an "authentic" manner based on the life of
                                    The Prophet? He spread the faith through conquest, as they are trying
                                    to do. Isn't that what Sartre praised? Acting in a purely authentic
                                    manner?

                                    Oh, goody. Yes, they are being "authentic" but when authenticity
                                    impinges on the rights and free will of others, that violates
                                    everything post Enlightenment philosophies respect. If you do not allow
                                    people to select your faith via free will and choice, how authentic can
                                    the new converts be?

                                    Religion is not going away, no matter what many early twentieth century
                                    philosophers and scientists hoped. Humans seem to have a need for faith
                                    and alliances. Political parties are no better than church
                                    congregations, with blind loyalties and a lack of intellectual
                                    consistency. People want to imagine someone, or something, has all the
                                    answers.

                                    The good thing about existentialism and most post-modern philosophies
                                    is that they question not if there are Truths but more essentially if
                                    humanity can ever understand any Truth if it even does exist.
                                    Kierkegaard believed in a Truth, as did Frankl, but neither thought a
                                    mere human could appreciate the truth -- our senses and intellect are
                                    not up to the task.

                                    Faith is an attempt to say, "I don't know the Truth, but I *imagine* it
                                    to be this Creator." Of course, that's just my view of faith.

                                    Being agnostic, I even lack the energy to be a "pure" atheist. I'd
                                    never fit into the Middle East mind-set.

                                    - C. S. Wyatt
                                    that I shall be.
                                  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                      > Religion is not going away, no matter what many early twentieth century
                                      > philosophers and scientists hoped. Humans seem to have a need for faith
                                      > and alliances.

                                      all gods aren't the same. some aren't even particularly demanding of
                                      loyal "true belief."

                                      aija
                                    • eupraxis@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                        Well, I would agree with that, too. Sometimes I wonder if Diogenes the Cynic hadn't it right all along.

                                        Of course, authenticity in Heidegger's sense of the term (and Sartre picks it up from him) doesn't -- and could never -- mean being in alignment with any ideology or belief system of any kind. It isn't any sort of correspondence of polarities.

                                        Wil

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                          On Jul 17, 2006, at 11:06, eupraxis@... wrote:

                                          > Of course, authenticity in Heidegger's sense of the term (and Sartre
                                          > picks it up from him) doesn't -- and could never -- mean being in
                                          > alignment with any ideology or belief system of any kind. It isn't any
                                          > sort of correspondence of polarities.

                                          The problem with this being that both men joined political movements,
                                          often following then right off a cliff -- from the embrace of Soviet
                                          Russia and Cuba by Sartre to Heidegger's WWII alliance with the
                                          National Socialist Party.

                                          - C. S. Wyatt
                                          that I shall be.
                                        • eupraxis@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                            Mary,

                                            Yeah, I agree with your "Universalist Ethics" criticism (it is more like Kant's famous maxim of the 2nd Critique than the Golden Rule, I think, since it conceptualizes a totality rather than limiting itself to an individual's self-regard).

                                            Nietzsche's life-long position (which I also agree with) is against any "metaphysical" understanding of morality, any kind of transcendence or Absolute. Still, Nietzsche does promote a philosophy of value, a transvaluation of hitherto "nihilistic" religious values, for the sake of 'something better', a higher human of some kind, which latter does invite some kind of irony (which is not lost on him). In any case, while being a champion of an individualistic approach to things, he doesn't wind up caught in an egoism (like Max Stirner) or an "objectivism" (like Rand). There is still a sense of a greater good in Nietzsche..

                                            In any case, some political choices are not discrete, like joining a Nazi party or some such thing. One has to face the consequences of that kind of 'choice' qua choice, I would have to say.

                                          • two_owl_night
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                              Then, of course, one discovers their mistakes, disengages and breaks
                                              alliances. Those who have been led astray or misled by philosophical
                                              idols are responsible for what they themselves choose to assimilate.
                                              This restores the responsible individual nihilism Nietzsche asserts.

                                              <existlist1@...> wrote:

                                              > The problem with this being that both men joined political
                                              movements,
                                              > often following then right off a cliff -- from the embrace of
                                              Soviet
                                              > Russia and Cuba by Sartre to Heidegger's WWII alliance with the
                                              > National Socialist Party.
                                              >
                                              > - C. S. Wyatt
                                              >
                                              > On Jul 17, 2006, at 11:06, eupraxis@... wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Of course, authenticity in Heidegger's sense of the term (and
                                              Sartre
                                              > > picks it up from him) doesn't -- and could never -- mean being in
                                              > > alignment with any ideology or belief system of any kind. It
                                              isn't any
                                              > > sort of correspondence of polarities.
                                            • insightboy1der
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 20, 2006
                                                hey anyone pls helpme im doing my thesis for my bachelor's. I want a
                                                topic about atheism and its relation to media
                                              • Exist List Moderator
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 21, 2006
                                                  On Jul 21, 2006, at 1:09, insightboy1der wrote:

                                                  > hey anyone pls helpme im doing my thesis for my bachelor's. I want a
                                                  > topic about atheism and its relation to media

                                                  You could study the influence of Sartre and other intellectuals on the
                                                  media, especially as it relates to the creation and maintenance of a
                                                  secular national identity in much of Europe. Sartre, however, also
                                                  thought "secular" would be less biases and more reasonable. That is a
                                                  myth, since everyone has beliefs -- we just transfer the passion to
                                                  another cause.

                                                  The American media has never embraced the same secularism. Just try to
                                                  replace Christmas in a story with "holidays" and watch the outcry!

                                                  - C. S. Wyatt
                                                  that I shall be.
                                                • eupraxis@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 21, 2006
                                                    Sartre was, of course, an avowed atheist. A personal, objective god would nullify the Satrean project in its entirety.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 21, 2006
                                                      On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:12, eupraxis@... wrote:

                                                      > Sartre was, of course, an avowed atheist. A personal, objective god
                                                      > would nullify the Satrean project in its entirety.

                                                      The question was about a thesis based on atheism and the media. The
                                                      only good example I could think of within existentialism was Sartre,
                                                      though I suppose others in the phenomenology realm might also work. I
                                                      know Merleau-Ponty was a media critic for a time. You could certainly
                                                      expand beyond existentialism to include the thoughts of any number of
                                                      post-modern thinkers.

                                                      I know I'd look at pop-culture theory, where a number of British and
                                                      Australian scholars have written on the secular vs. non-secular nature
                                                      of media. American media cater to our national desire to be "religious"
                                                      without actually being that dedicated to anything. There was a
                                                      collection of essays on the media I read recently, I think from the
                                                      University of California, Santa Cruz, on this issue -- the "religious
                                                      language" used in the media (terms like crusade, crucifixion, savior)
                                                      to relate to the audience. My argument is that such language is not
                                                      really religiously significant to most people when they hear a news
                                                      report. Maybe there is a more subconscious connection, though?

                                                      - C. S. Wyatt
                                                      that I shall be.