Violence as a reality

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      I like Bugs Bunny. Bugs lays back and waits for the fool to trap
      himself. Bugs has little personal agenda but to get his share of
      carrots and escape the shotgun. Eventually his more aggressive
      adversaries blow themselves up or fall off a cliff.
      I also like Daffy Duck. He likes action and the more irrational and
      madcap the better. Turmoil is his medium, he likes his world as a
      whirlwind. You never know when he might blow himself up and get you
      in the process. He doesn`t care as long as there is action.
      I think cartoons played a good purpose in my life, they
      introduced me to violence and danger without personal jepardy. I
      had a friend who thought he could ride his bike through a chainlink
      backstop. I encouraged him to try. He started clear out in center
      field and rode like hell . He flew over the mound and smashed at
      speed into the wire. He nearly tore his nuts off on the bike bar.
      Great lesson for me, "Don`t do that". He is a judge now and still
      does not like being reminded of the moment. He was just being Daffy
      and I was being Bugs. The lesson was driven home, bad things happen
      if you try to live to impossible standards.
      So when a kid sees a cartoon character take a big flyer he can
      consider the consequences of the act. And if he is smart , like
      Bugs , he can get his buddy to try it. Bill