Re: Helen of Troy Boycotts Oscars

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2005
      Siobhan,

      You have been hellish rude to me, and now you say no self-respecting
      existentialist would be without a book of Camus' essays. Live and
      let live, won't you???
      Anyway, Camus is treasured by you, and Homer by me, and I can tell
      you that Helen is portrayed with deep sympathy in the Iliad. The
      old men on the battlements of the besieged city gaze on her and
      wonder, and Priam himself soothes her self-reproaches, blaming the
      gods and not herself for the calamities she has to witness.
      As to my "narcissism disguised as philosophy" header, that is lifted
      straight from the archive, where I was browsing this evening. CSW
      encountered the phrase as a description of existentialism.

      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Siobhan" <bravegnoobee@y...>
      wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > I can't help wondering if she (the beautiful mythical she) would
      even
      > be noticed at the Awards. What type of beauty could cause such
      > calamity these days? I did my best to get through The Iliad in
      high
      > school but now I find I can't avoid it, either here at existlist
      or
      > at the cinema. I do like its emphasis on value & virtue; however
      it
      > seems similar to Gilgamesh in its condemnation of women as the
      cause
      > of evil, in this case the Trojan war. Anyway, here's a bit of
      Camus'
      > essay, "Helen's Exile" (Myth of Sisyphus & Other Essays), the
      little
      > book every self-respecting existentialist owns:
      >
      > "I hate my time," Saint-Exupery wrote shortly before his death,
      for
      > reasons not far removed from those I have spoken of. But, however
      > upsetting that exclamation, coming from him who loved men for
      their
      > admirable qualities, we shall not accept responsibility for it.
      Yet