more from the man north of the border

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
      Sentences and Paragraphs

      XX

      Dignity *is* impudence.

      XXI

      Those who are convinced of the absolute truth of Evolution are
      merely bigots, as intolerant as those who formerly believed in
      witchcraft or a concrete hell. No mind is so much given over to
      delusions as the logical one.

      XXII

      Logic is the strong delusion which God sends.

      John Davidson.
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005

        > Logic is the strong delusion which God sends.

        Louise,
        Logic for the God-believer is a delusion. The delusion of God-belief
        is quite generatively virulent that way; like the common cold.Let's
        discuss why I think your views are racist. What do you know of the
        history of the Taino or Arawakan language based people in Puerto Rico?
        What does the Carib have left in his veins that is indigenous? Why
        can't you make even the slightest attempt to understand why I despise
        Christianity in every molecule there is of me. I may arguably assume
        at this point that you are not possessed of any logic, only personal
        delusion; or alternatively you are purposely malicious. I am kicked,
        yet you remain? I can only characterize that action as bizarre,
        remarkably like your presentation of yourself here.I think,after some
        recent reconsideration, that you really believe existentialism to be
        the delusion.I propose a discussion in which you elaborate what
        existentialism means in your view. You have the floor, so to speak,
        English "existentialist" woman.Give us your view, and for once make an
        attempt at honesty and clarity in your own words, not quotations. I
        will post nothing against your astute view. I am already assuming it
        will have no substance that interests me.

        taiguey
        tc
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
          My belief is in philosophical thinking, in clarity, in honesty, in
          the slow process of earning respect. Christianity as a massed
          phenomenon is, technically speaking, one of my enemies. My
          quotations from Kierkegaard and other individualists, including
          Nietzscheans like the poet Davidson, have in part been attempts to
          illustrate that, namely the opposition between the free spirit of
          man and the dead weight of organised morality. In Kierkegaard's
          time, that organisation was overwhelmingly prone to claim
          a 'Christian' label, and maybe that is much the case even today in
          USA. In Great Britain, however, for instance (and Ulster, or
          Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK state, is rather
          different), claimed agnostic/secular/humanist labels prevail over
          the Christian terminology. You and I, Trinidad Cruz, seem to find
          ourselves in a quarrel based on confusion and misunderstanding.
          That's only how it looks to me. I really do not understand how it
          looks to you. So I shall begin by trying to reply to your points
          one by one, below.

          Trinidad Cruz (quoting Louise quoting Davidson): Logic is the strong
          delusion which God sends.

          TC: Louise, Logic for the God-believer is a delusion. The delusion
          of God-belief is quite generatively virulent that way; like the
          common cold.

          L: This is a bald assertion. I don't agree or disagree. I find the
          statement too vague. Davidson is a very intelligent man. I do not
          claim to understand what he means by 'logic' in this context. Am
          interested in finding out.

          TC: Let's discuss why I think your views are racist.
          L: Fine.

          TC: What do you know of the history of the Taino or Arawakan
          language based people in Puerto Rico?
          L: Absolutely nothing.

          TC: What does the Carib have left in his veins that is indigenous?
          L: I don't know.

          TC: Why can't you make even the slightest attempt to understand why
          I despise Christianity in every molecule there is of me.
          L: I have made huge efforts. Most of the time, I found myself
          battling against incomprehensible personal abuse or dense scientifc
          theory in which I wasn't interested. Your poetic prose, when not
          ignorantly directed against myself, or anyone else, I think is very
          fine. What you call 'Christianity' may be amongst what I despise
          too. We keep talking past each other.

          TC: I may arguably assume at this point that you are not possessed
          of any logic, only personal delusion; or alternatively you are
          purposely malicious.
          L: Why? I am trying here to philosophise, to engage in reasonable
          argument and debate.

          TC: I am kicked, yet you remain? I can only characterize that action
          as bizarre, remarkably like your presentation of yourself here.
          L: This is very odd. Again, I am not the moderator. I have had
          many run-ins with the moderator myself, remember? Often I was
          afraid of receiving a 'kick' and was upset when that happened to
          Knott. I have striven hard to remain within the rules, and have
          rarely sworn. Your own language was getting very ripe. If you have
          a dispute there, it should be offlist now, with CSW and Susan.
          Moderation of the list is nothing to do with me. There are rules,
          and all members are in the same boat.

          TC: I think,after some recent reconsideration, that you really
          believe existentialism to be the delusion. I propose a discussion in
          which you elaborate what existentialism means in your view.
          L: No, the delusion is literalism. The way one reads
          existentialism, literature, science, theology, all of these
          misreadings can be delusional.

          TC: You have the floor, so to speak, English "existentialist" woman.
          Give us your view, and for once make an attempt at honesty and
          clarity in your own words, not quotations.
          L: I have made a start here, and in any case, I have often stated my
          own views, without simple context-provision. I still think we need
          a certain spirit of conversation, a conditional trust in mutual good
          will, for philosophical discussion to be successful.

          TC: I will post nothing against your astute view. I am already
          assuming it will have no substance that interests me.
          L: Well, you're nothing if not pessimistic.

          > taiguey
          quoi??

          > tc
          lc, la chatte
        • nandinka@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
            In a message dated 2/27/2005 12:54:24 PM Mountain Standard Time,
            cruzprdb@... writes:
            Please unsubscibe, thanks.

          • gina goia
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
              --Read your latest email quotes between you and trin.Cruz...he did
              had his point of faith...everything do chance when crossed the
              native border...but read this!"The story of the Arawaks,the Caribs
              and the Spaniards is a well known tale told to every Caribbean
              child....before the Europrans landed on these our islands,a peaceful
              and gentle tribe of Ameridians called the Arawaks,who had inhabited
              the entire Caribbean archipelago.So generous and guileless were
              these people that they embraced the Spaniards and provided every
              comfort for them,only to be repaid by being mercilessly slaughtered
              so that within a few decades not one Arawak was alive...This is
              because there was another tribe,a ferocious obne called the
              Caribs,who were on the verge of pouncing on the Arawaks and putting
              them to an even more horrible end.These Caribs were,you see,eaters
              of human flesh.Following hard on the heels of the Arawaks,they had
              gobbled their way up the Carribean archiipelago,settling on each
              island like a swarm of locusts in a field,and only moving on when
              they had gorged themselves on every available Arawak.By the time of
              Columbus's arrival,the Caribs had eaten their way through the hesser
              Antilles and already were licking their chops for the meat walking
              about in Puerto Rico...Its nightmare quality seems to represent the
              final,ultimate indignity perpetrated against the first Caribbean
              people,already victims of the first holocaust unleashead on the
              world by European civilisation...and so on...suffering it is a
              personal pain and it can turns in a very untoucheable thing...you
              can create your own faith on it or you can become a very private
              mind based on it...people from small occupied country had a great
              feling of freedom...and also can be very sensitive about it...we
              can,t blamed them...gina- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise"

            • nandinka@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                In a message dated 2/27/2005 3:24:58 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                susan@... writes:
                Please unsubscribe me,thankyou.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                  If this is an attempt at impudence, it failed. Impertinence, in my
                  judgment. Since it was my header that was hijacked, I claim this
                  right of reply. Thank you. Nandinka man, grow up, or get lost.

                  Poet Regine

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                    In a message dated 2/28/2005 6:41:10 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                    nandinka@... writes:
                    Please unsubscribe me,thankyou
                    Please,please unsubscribe

                  • nandinka@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                          click on 'leave group', towards upper right section of homepage.
                          follow instructions.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005