Priam

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2005
      We will see Sunday night if there is still appreciation in the
      valley of the philistines for the stories of greatness. I think
      Peter O`toole is up for best supporting actor on the strength of the
      very scene of which you speak.
      Achillies is rocked back by the appearance of Priam in the Greek
      camp.Priam retorts that there are many things in Troy that the
      Greeks do not know.Priam does beg but not for his life but for the
      obediance to the rituals necessary for the cremation of a
      warrior.Achilles finds that a laudable goal and says he wishes his
      king had such honor.The scene is followed by the freeing of Persieus
      who returns with Priam.
      A well drawn theme in the movie deals with the regression of the
      power of the gods.
      In the movie Achilles initial amphibious landing occurs at the site
      of a beachside temple of Apollo.He and his marmadons slaughter
      Apollo`s priests and capture Persieus. Achilles makes a point of
      desecrating a statue of Apollo and faces Hector to assure the deed
      is reported to Priam.
      At a later council of war Priam is advised that victory is all but
      assured since the patron god of the kingdom has been desecrated and
      will fight by the side of the Trojans to victory.
      In the scene of Priam and Achilles, O`Toole plays Priam wide eyed,
      as if in shock at the ungodly defeat of his son and the God,
      Apollo.He is in shock not only at the death of his son but in the
      unrequited insult on a god.Priams faith is shaken and further
      disturbed by the savage but noble demeanor of Achilles.Not only is
      Hector defeated but the god is defaced by a fierce man of arms.
      So I denote two revolutionary themes in the movie; the lessening of
      the hands on
      power of the gods and the lessening of the preeminance of battle
      power to the political prowess of secular kings.In this
      transference Achilles becomes a two way lynchpin of the old to the
      new , the sacred to the secular.
      So, will the acedemy respond to such complexity from the misty dawn
      of civilisation?It could honor itself. Bill